MM and 1000 door and king pin interchangeability ?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ceejay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

MM and 1000 door and king pin interchangeability ?

Post by Ceejay »

Hello all,

I have a series MM high light 2 door.

Can I install complete doors from a minor 1000 2 door ?

Can I install the door tops... the window and quarterlight frames from a 1000 2 door onto the MM high light doors ?

The front suspension legs... the swivel units. Can I install complete unit from a minor 1000 ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MM and 1000 door and king pin interchangeability ?

Post by philthehill »

As regards the steering swivels - yes you can so long as you fit all the parts from a Morris Minor 1000.
See BMC wksp manual section 'K' for details.

Ceejay
Minor Friendly

Post by Ceejay »

philthehill wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:40 am As regards the steering swivels - yes you can so long as you fit all the parts from a Morris Minor 1000.
See BMC wksp manual section 'K' for details.
Thank you.

Section K details all the suspension repairs etc but does not talk about upgrading an MM with 1000 swivels.

Leaving the shock absorber, torsion bar and lower arms alone, can I install a complete front leg with knuckles (lower link, upper link) ? That means I can even have 8"drums in front.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As Phil has already said, Yes, it can be done. I did exactly that to my MM around half a century ago :tu1:
Of course, your original road wheels will no longer fit as the PCD is different. I also changed the whole rear axle.
I cannot see any reason why you couldn't swap the doors - or the tops of the doors either.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst the BMC workshop manual says nothing to very little about upgrading the front suspension all the details are included for fitting the Morris Minor 1000 front suspension to your MM.
As regards the damper you may have to fit the Morris Minor 1000 top pivot pin to allow the fitment of the rubber bushes. Make a note of the need to reposition the top rebound rubber and the need to fit the spacers between the eye bolt and the chassis leg and the spacer between the tie bar yoke and the lower suspension arm.
Make sure that you get the steering geometry checked when you have changed over the parts otherwise you could experience severe tyre wear.

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

The doors are interchangeable. There are only minor differences between them. Earlier cars had a different quarter light arrangement, had no weatherstrip for the window on the outside and no chrome escutcheon around the handle. Many early cars have had the doors replaced with those from later cars so this should be an easy swap.