Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JudyP
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Introducing myself

Post by JudyP »

Hello everyone, my name's Judy and I'm a Minor enthusiast, though sadly haven't been an owner for many years. My last Morris was Ector the Traveller, ECT 105D, and it was looking up the car's details to see if it was still on the road (still don't know), that eventually brought me here. I was also a member many aeons ago, but let membership drop when I had to give Ector up (worst mistake of my life, should have put him in storage and kept him safe).
Anyway, if my current career change plan works, I'm hoping to save up some money and return to Moggy ownership in a few years, though unless we move house, it would have to be something that can cope with being outside, so a Traveller would probably be off the cards. A van would be lovely, but everything looks quite pricey for a non-project, roadworthy vehicle. It may never come to pass, but I can dream!
Also, I currently onw an EV and absolutely love it! I love both old and new, so won't get into any arguments about the merits of either, but I will say that I enjoy driving my 62 plate Leaf around, it cost less than £6K just over a year ago and is the perfect commuter car for me, especially with the solar panels on the roof (which cost £3K - I'm just saying this to point out that I am by no means rich, and scrimped and saved on a part time minimum wage job for these things).
I'd like either a Traveller (but again, parking outside not great for them) or better yet, a van for my potential new line of work. Going to take years to save up though, and that's only if the change of career works out, scary stuff. So I shall admire from afar and keep kicking myself for selling my Traveller all those years ago!
If I can figure out how to attach photos to posts from my PC, I'll put some up in the off topic forum so you can see what I'm aspiring to do, which is custom painting for mainly motorbikes. Which I can't ride. Hm.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Sleeper »

ECT105D ( Green ) is Taxed till August 2022 ,currently insured and with MOT expired 25 August 2018. ( slight diff oil leak )

The MOT results for August 2017 look a little scary...

Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Rear Braking system leaking wheel hub (3.6.A.1)
Nearside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering chassis/wheel arch (6.1.A.1)
Offside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion which adversely affects braking or steering chassis/wheel arch (6.1.A.1)
Offside Rear Inner Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)
Nearside Rear Inner Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)
Offside Front Inner Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings wheel arch (6.1.B.2)
Advisory notice item(s)
Oil leak ()
rear diff leaking oil

John ;-)
Last edited by Sleeper on Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
JudyP
Minor Friendly

Post by JudyP »

Wow, thank you for the information! :D Good to know he's still around and hasn't yet gone to the big scrapyard in the sky.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Hello Judy, firstly welcome, and I hope that your plans work out. That aside, Ector might still be on the road, but whether he should be is another matter, unless all those failures have been attended to. They are certainly not terminal, but he does clearly need some attention!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Hi Judy hope you get another traveller :D
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Completely left field but a Nissan Leaf is a good donor car to convert something else to electric. Someone makes a controller so that your Leaf battery, motor and pedal can all hook up in some other vehicle.

It's a the back of my mind for a project one day but only so much time.

Also, while Nissan will try to upsell you a newer model, there are ways to fit a newer Leaf battery to an older Leaf to get better range and people out there who will do it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DalasEVRepair
JudyP
Minor Friendly

Post by JudyP »

I've seen and heard of many electric conversions, however I'm quite content with my Leaf at the moment - it still has ten out of twelve battery bars and is a most excellent little commuter vehicle. It also helps that we recently installed solar panels on our house, so charging it is hopefully costing us less than using public chargers or grid electricity (although I have a very cheap night rate, so tend to use that to charge the car, and leave the solar for the rest of the house during the day).

WRT battery swaps, my understanding from other EV owners is that they are currently not feasible, or at least not for people like myself, who wouldn't touch major electrics - it's definitely not as simple as popping a few AAs into it, lol! The only company I would have trusted to do a full battery swap in the UK is Cleevely EVs, and they're not doing them any more due to it not being financially viable right now. I hope it changes in future, but I've got a long way to go before my car has a less than desirable (for me) range. Plus, I didn't buy it from Nissan as it's an older model, 62 plate, so I don't have to worry about pressure upselling from Nissan. :)