Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stevec100
MMOC Member: Yes

Custom car cover?

Post by stevec100 »

Hi All

I've just purchased my first Morris and was wondering if anybody had recommendations for a good fitting and quality car cover to use for the occasions it's sitting outside in summer months - I've heard mixed opinions on them but looking for something easy to store and waterproof if possible

Thanks
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Re: Custom car cover?

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Morning Steve,

These have lots of good reviews from Moggy owners and I recently bought their Stormforce one. Not cheap at £180, but well made, come with a storage bag and most importantly, the inner layer is soft to protect paintwork etc. You might get away with the Voyager one (around £60) but note it’s water resistant, not waterproof:

https://www.carscovers.co.uk/MORRIS-MIN ... -1971.html

The stormforce is waterproof but mine lives outside all year round so that could be overkill for you. Of course, depends on whether you need that full protection or not.

I looked at several other high spec covers but this seemed the best balance of quality vs price.
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

I can recommend this one:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273121007642

I bought one a few months ago and it is, as claimed, waterproof. This came as something of a surprise to me as, over the years, I have bought many car covers for various vehicles (including the more expensive ones such as Stormforce, Monsoon etc) and without exception they all leak eventually - some much sooner than others and some of them leak almost from day one. Having learned from experience, I now have a lightweight 'showerproof' (they're not!) cover on the car, on top of which I have a sheet of fairly lightweight polythene and then the outdoor cover. This set-up is guaranteed waterproof, even when the UV effects of sunlight have rendered the erstwhile waterproof outer cover porous but even then, in the colder months, you need to pull the covers back on a frequent basis to check for and eliminate condensation which always collects on the cold vehicle. Good luck with your decisions.
stevec100

Post by stevec100 »

PhilipW1039 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:30 am Morning Steve,

These have lots of good reviews from Moggy owners and I recently bought their Stormforce one. Not cheap at £180, but well made, come with a storage bag and most importantly, the inner layer is soft to protect paintwork etc. You might get away with the Voyager one (around £60) but note it’s water resistant, not waterproof:

https://www.carscovers.co.uk/MORRIS-MIN ... -1971.html

The stormforce is waterproof but mine lives outside all year round so that could be overkill for you. Of course, depends on whether you need that full protection or not.

I looked at several other high spec covers but this seemed the best balance of quality vs price.

Thanks Philip - it looks decent for the price and hopefully does the job - I've ordered one today. The car will be on a drive over summer so I guess it's mainly protection from too much sun and the odd rain shower. It's got warm storage arranged already for winter - even though I don't get it until the end of the week!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Be very careful as covered all the time can create micro blisters in the paintwork :o
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I must admit that having had bad experience with a "waterproof car cover" many years ago which did much more harm than good, I have avoided them since and our Minor lives outside all the time - exposed to all the elements. I have seen many classic cars suffer paintwork problems from car covers and wouldn't buy another. If the car gets wet, it soon dries off again. When keeping a car outside it is essential to make sure that the water cannot enter the car around window rubbers etc. Also, you have to keep the car clean and attend to chipped paintwork and deal with rust prevention - which is all part of good maintenance really :) Our car has survived outside for the last 15years of so without any serious deterioration.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

I use one of the covers that just goes over the roof and windows on the cars I leave outside, it's enough to keep it dry inside but still gets air under it when the wind blows. Keep the rest polushed and freshwater won't do any great harm.