Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Martha
MMOC Member: Yes

No Brakes

Post by Martha »

Hi

I've got a problem and not sure what to do next. Two months ago my brakes failed..... Thinking it was a master cylinder problem, I purchased a replacement and that didn't help... I then refurbed the origonal MC and I still have no brakes.

I have Drums on the Back, Marina disks on the front, a servo and a brake remote top up.

The marina front brake callipers have the bleed nipples at the bottom and I'm not sure if they can be swapped over, so anyone with marina disks can advise me ????

Oh before anyone asks... I have remove the seal from the MC because of the front disks
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: No Brakes

Post by Sleeper »

The bleed nipples should be at the top , probably full of air by now , get them swapped over..

John ;-)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You will need to swop the right and left callipers so as to get the bleed nipple at the top. The calliper mounts work either way (up or down) so there will be no problem with fitment.
I have Marina discs & callipers fitted to my Minor.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Just to emphasise, the Marina calipers that I have are marked L and R, so "swap over" means swap the calipers from one side to the other. The bleed nipples should then be at the top and the pipe enters at the bottom. The pipe should run to a bracket on the upright where it connects to the flexible hose. Also,Marina callipers are mounted behind the upright, towards the rear of the car. If I get a chance, I'll post a picture later, unless someone else beats me to it.

If whoever did the conversion made such a basic error, I would also check that the servo has been mounted correctly and that the rest of the pipework is OK. As I often write, brakes are safety critical and must be done correctly. There are probably hundreds of these conversions out there and it's a good feature.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

WDF suspension 1.jpg
WDF suspension 1.jpg (589.78 KiB) Viewed 244 times
As an aside the period anti roll bar shown in the picture above will be for sale.
It is being replaced with a 19mm dia fully rose jointed link set up.
If interested PM me.

Martha

Post by Martha »

Hi Sleeper, Philthehi & Simmitc

Thanks for replying, it appears from the comments that it maybe just the front calipers being upside down. I will recify the error :tu1: and bleed the brakes again.

Watch this space.....

Thanks very much again

Mike (martha)