Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dougie212
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Door adjustment or new hinge

Post by Dougie212 »

Hi everyone.

Just after a little guidance on my front drivers door please. My cars a 1958 4 door. The drivers door is a bit awkward to close in that it needs to be lifted up and slammed quite firmly. I’ve read in my manual about adjusting the catch plate so not so concerned about the slamming, but the lifting to get it to close is a bit frustrating and awkward. The hinge barrel rather than the bolted plates seem to be where the movement is. I can try and upload a video of the amount of movement and see if you think it’s normal, but in the meantime… is there any adjustment to help what I’m describing or does it sound like new hinges are needed?

Thanks
Duncan
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Door adjustment or new hinge

Post by Sleeper »

Duncan
You can drill the hinge (s) and fit oversize pins...

John ;-)

Edit , out of stock at ESM but

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254845954659 ... Sw81RfU4Wa
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

yep, oversize pins (19/64 drill IIRC) is the normal cure for the dropping, the adjustment is more for overall height and inset/offset. Before removing the hinges to drill and fit new pins, make sure that you mark the body with the position of the hinges so that you have a good starting point when refitting the door.

You may find it easier to buy reconditioned hinges!

Refitting the door is aided by using a headless bolt in the A-post so that you have somewhere to hang the door whilst fitting the other bolts. Once they are in, remove the headless one and fit the proper one.
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Perfect!! Thankyou both!!! I think in the interests of learning I’ll have a go at drilling them and if all else fails get some reconditioned ones..
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »