Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dougie212
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Door draught excluder

Post by Dougie212 »

Hi there

I’m looking to replace the draught excluder trim on my 1958 4 door morris. I’ve been told that originally the trim would have been material finish, but there is now a rubber version available. I’m thinking of going back to what the car would have had and fit the material trim but have now found that a range of colours are available. My car is green, so would the material trim have matched the colour of the car or would they have been black?

Thanks

Duncan
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Re: Door draught excluder

Post by Boomlander »

Hi,
My old series 2 had red cloth door seals to match the carpet colour. My friend's green car had green carpets and matching green seals so I guess a colour match would be the best option.
Don't forget to order the fixing clips like I did! 🙄

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, I think that is right - the draught excluder matches the interior carpet colour which may, or may not be, the same as the body colour. F'rinstance, I have had two cars in which the carpets/excluders were the same as the the body colour, and two in which they contrasted with the body colour. Boomlander's advice to match the carpet makes sense, as I think I have seen cars where the seats are a different colour to the carpets and draught excluders.
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Perfect, thankyou both!! Order placed for green draught excluders to match my carpets - and thankfully, I remembered the clips.. :D
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

When fitting I use dabs of evo-stik in areas where it is difficult to crimp the metal of the DE. When trimming it, a very sharp cutter is needed and some clear spray glue is useful on cut-ends to stop the cloth fraying. I am not sure whether they were original but my car has 6" metal rub strips over areas where the driver / passenger slides in and out to prevent wear and hold the DE in place.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Another point: Make sure you cut the draught excluder long enough so that you can retain the ends under the sill kick plates as originally intended. If you don't, the draught excluder easily get knocked off at the ends :wink:
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Thankyou all for your advice!! As ever really grateful!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Not to put a downer on things but just so you're prepared, don't be surprised if the colour fades really quickly.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)