Rear Wing Beading

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rolomorris
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear Wing Beading

Post by Rolomorris »

Having replaced the rear arch flanges and inner wings and now fitting new rear wings I find the beading does not clamp tight between the fixing bolts. Should I use a sealer or extra bolts? I have Tiger seal which I intend to seal the front wings however I have not used it and being a slow worker would it set before the wing and the beading was in place. So please I am after suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks in advance.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear Wing Beading

Post by myoldjalopy »

It sounds (without seeing it) as if something is out of alignment. Try carefully fitting the wing without the beading and see if you can identify the problem then. Something may need tweaking.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

One problem is that the new replacement piping is not as wide/bulky in cross section as the original. This combined with the rather poor wing pressing on many replacement wings, means that the gap between body and wing is somewhat uneven and the very thin piping cannot possibly be held tightly all the way around. On my car I had to put some extra fixing in to hold it in a couple of places.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

Yes ours won't stay in around the back of the sill, as said above it doesen't seem deep enough, I have assembled the wings with loads of cavity wax on all sides which probably doesen't help. If you are not using any wax you could stick it in otherwise glue something like closed cell sponge to the beading to make it deeper / thicker.