Riley 1.5 Refurbished Front Brakes. Complete

You can use this area to advertise parts.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Riley 1.5 Refurbished Front Brakes. Complete

Post by moggiegeek »

Not one but two sets of Riley 1.5 Front brakes.
Popular period modification to minors.
Each comprising, Backplate, springs, drums, adjusters, brand new cylinders, new shoes, new flexible hoses, new bridging pipe between cylinders. Assembled and protected against corrosion.
In the end I went down the disc brake route on my vehicle. Wish I hadn't.
Each set, £135 plus p and p.
Collect from Bath area.
kingsley
Minor Friendly

Re: Riley 1.5 Refurbished Front Brakes. Complete

Post by kingsley »

I'm very interested in the reasons why you wish you hadn't swapped for disc brakes?
moggiegeek
Minor Fan

Post by moggiegeek »

It's more of an irritation. Finding it almost impossible to get a hard pedal at the top of its travel. Have bled the system under pressure repeatedly, new master cylinder, top hat seal removed, new cylinders on Wolsey brakes on rear.
Only thing I haven't tried is a residual pressure valve in the line to the rear brakes which I'm told keeps enough pressure on rear cylinders to keep the shoes close to the drums. I do have one but am reluctant to drain it all down and plumb it in.
kingsley
Minor Friendly

Post by kingsley »

That sounds frustrating. I can understand your reluctance to drain down again, however, I think the residual pressure valve may solve the problem. Either way, good luck. :D
moggiegeek
Minor Fan

Post by moggiegeek »

Thanks for the reply and support. Have you experienced the same problem with discs?
kingsley
Minor Friendly

Post by kingsley »

No, and I am definitely not an expert on this, but there are a lot of comments across various forums, all stressing the need to fit residual pressure valves when upgrading to disc brakes. So, i am assuming there is a strong element of truth or desirability in this. For general info for readers who are not familiar with these, here is an example of one https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/residual-pressure-valve Any other members have any experience in this area? Again, good luck. :tu1:
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MorrisJohn »

I bought a disc conversion kit (Ford KA based, a straight fit with no mods required) and then changed my mind! For originality I did a full 7” drum overhaul instead and have found them fine.

I sold the disc kit to a local friend for his car, albeit for a bit less than I paid for it. Unfortunately he’s been plagued by very soft brakes ever since (as far as I know he hasn’t fitted a remote reservoir). I have sent him the link above in case it helps.
A bad day with my Moggy still beats a good day at work.

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Residual pressure valve - never had the need to fit one and I have Marina discs on the front and Wolseley 1500 brakes on the rear and without a servo. The brake pedal is not soft either - just right for me.
The residual pressure in the brake lines of a Minor is more to do with the type of wheel cylinder seal fitted. The residual pressure is there to keep the seal against the cylinder wall. See wksp man for details.

moggiegeek
Minor Fan

Post by moggiegeek »

One set SOLD.
One set REMAINING......
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

kingsley wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:20 pm No, and I am definitely not an expert on this, but there are a lot of comments across various forums, all stressing the need to fit residual pressure valves when upgrading to disc brakes. So, i am assuming there is a strong element of truth or desirability in this. For general info for readers who are not familiar with these, here is an example of one https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/residual-pressure-valve Any other members have any experience in this area? Again, good luck. :tu1:
So 'Cards on the Table', ... I've not done a Disc Conversion, but a common problem with people messing up doing a Conversion is forgetting to remove the Top Hat Seal from the MC.
That's intended to keep a residual pressure (8psi) in the system, by leaving it in they get the Discs brakes rubbing too much.....
Replacing it with a valve to retain 2psi hardly seems worth it. :-?
Basil the 1955 series II