Steering tie rod

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Astronomer
MMOC Member: Yes

Steering tie rod

Post by Astronomer »

Does anyone know where I can obtain a couple of steering tie rods. (STR126 or 127 in Chrales Ware catalogue). It seems that they are unavailable except in a complete steering rack, which is also unavailable. I really would like to get rid of the clonking from the front of my car which I'm told by my mecahnic is due to worn tie rods.

Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Steering tie rod

Post by philthehill »

There are shims in the ball end of the steering rack that can be removed or added to to obtain the correct load on the joint. There is no need in most cases to replace the tie rod.
See BMC wksp manual for details.

Astronomer

Post by Astronomer »

Thanks for your quick reply. Any idea where these shims can be obtained. I'm sorry but I'm not very 'hands-on' and have to rely on professionals to do the work but they do not source parts.
Thanks again
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It looks as if the shims are not currently available from the usual suppliers. I will continue to search and if I find a supplier I will post the details on here.
If you have play at the tie rod joint you will need to remove a shim not add a shim so you may be able to get away with removing one or more of of the 0.003 or 0.005"" shims.
I had the same thing with my steering rack and I obtained a unserviceable steering rack and used the shims from that. The shims are not subject to wear, they just sit there so can be reused over and over again.

Astronomer

Post by Astronomer »

Thank you again. You are most helpful. My mechanic told me that it was not the track rod end which had play in it but 'the other end' which is why he suggested new tie rods. I'm not sure that I understand how removing a shim will make the joint more secure! But I just drive the car! I've attached an exploded diagram from a parts supplier. It would be helpful if you could indicate which are the shims.

Thanks again
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am aware that the wear you refer to is not in the track rod end but at the inner part of the tie rod.
Removing a shim or shims tightens the cup around the knuckle so removing the wear.
Your exploded parts diagram has not been included so I have attached a link to the MOSS Morris Minor parts list.
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... 51-71.html
Item No:92 in the attached parts diagram is the shim.
Removing one or more shims allows the housing ball female item No: 95 to move closer to the housing ball male item No: 91 so pressing the knuckle on the end of the tie rod item No: 94 harder into the cup item No: 93 so reducing the clearance between the knuckle and the cup and hopefully removing any wear and the clunking noise.

Astronomer

Post by Astronomer »

Again, many thanks for your very useful description and diagram. I'll not be able to take this issue any further for a couple of weeks as we have family visitng from far off lands. I will study your explanation and the diagram in more detail and then look at the appropriate part of the car. I will get back to you if I need any more help - very likely!

You have been most kind. Best regards
Astronomer
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Astronomer

Post by Astronomer »

Many thanks for your help. You are a real gem.