Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Car insurance for UK non-residents

Post by Mr Spigot »

I am trying to get my son insured to drive my Morris Minor when he comes over for his wedding in a few weeks as the plan is for him to drive away in it. He has lived in the USA for the last 11 months and will be flying back to live there after the wedding so I only need him covered for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, having rung Lancaster Insurance to add him to my policy, they have tried all their insurers but none will cover him as he is a non-resident, even though he had previously lived in the UK since birth.

Does anyone know any insurer who will cover him? I have spent the last 10 months getting the car ready for the wedding and now this!
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
Chief
Minor Addict

Re: Car insurance for UK non-residents

Post by Chief »

You might try one of the day insurance companies, though I'd imagine it will only be insured for scrap value through those.
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Re: Car insurance for UK non-residents

Post by Mr Spigot »

After spending about 2 hours ringing round various brokers, Sterling came up trumps and I now have him covered for 2 weeks on a fully comprehensive basis. I had not realised that him not being resident in the UK any longer would cause such a problem, but none of the mainstream classic vehicle insurers or any other main insurers would offer even to quote. Having spent the last year getting the car ready for him to drive away from his wedding this could have been a real disaster!
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305