Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

New Handbrake cable adjustment

Post by culp »

I'm not sure what to do about the handbrake cables on my 1970 Traveller.

I have replaced the old cables with new ones from ESM. The photo below is with the handbrake lever pulled up 5 clicks. The rear brakes shoes are adjusted although the RH side ones (lower cable in the picture) could probably do with going up one more click.
handbrake on 1970 morris traveller up 5 clicks
handbrake on 1970 morris traveller up 5 clicks
PXL_20220629_123549144.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 232 times
5 clicks seem too many to me; isn't 3 clicks supposed to be correct?

The brass adjusting nuts seem to me too far down the threaded portion of the handbrake cable? I cant get the nuts up much tighter as the spring is resisting?

Have I done something wrong somewhere?

Is it just the case that new cables are a bit on the long side these days?
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: New Handbrake cable adjustment

Post by King Kenny »

That look very familiar. I had to change my frayed cables for new ones and found the same as you. The springs are fully compressed but I would like to adjust them down a bit further. I must admit I have put up with the situation and have had no problems. I guess you are correct when you say the new ones are longer.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The MOT Inspection Manual simply says 'A parking brake lever must have obvious excessive travel before being rejected.'

FIVE clicks is no problem, I don't know where you got the idea of 3 clicks from.
If it's started to engage at 2 clicks it's a risk of binding, some cars can go to 5-8.lever/control travel, i.e it can fail for 'no reserve travel'.
The old MOT test some 20+ years ago had something about 7 clicks max, but it hasn't been that for absolute Yonks.

I just checked the Workshop manual and that's where you're getting 3 Clicks from.
But what it actually says is
'Apply the handbrake until the 3rd pawl engages, adjust the nuts... until it is just possible to rotate the wheel by hand under heavy pressure.'

That's not exactly technical, whose hand pressure, an 18 yr old body builder or an 60 yr old with arthritis? :D

Five is fine. :tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II

culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

much obliged for the advice