Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidm1164
MMOC Member: Yes

Disc brakes

Post by davidm1164 »

Hello
Please bear with me as I am sure this topic has been covered a million times, but trying to find out about full set up, as my wife’s car, I would like to fit servo assisted front discs. Will I need a remote tank etc, any help/advice on everything I need to do would be much appreciated, this is our first minor, and just want it pleasurable to drive for her, it’s a 67 convertible, conversion, also can I fit inertia seat belts?
Thanks in advance
Davesheff
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Disc brakes

Post by Sleeper »

Dave
A remote tank is not necessary , unless you have a major ( or long term minor ) leak but it does make it easier to check the level and top-up.

The brake fluid " sweats" through most pipes ( apart from metal or Tygon ( my bet ) ).

ESM do the full Disc kit with instructions ( apart from the servo ).

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/brake ... brakes-c45

I'd go for the steel hub version.

As for the servo a take-off on the vacuum side of the inlet manifold is required , remember to follow the fitting instructions re. pointing the nose slightly upwards and the angle of the air valve...

John ;-)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Sleeper wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:21 am Dave
A remote tank is not necessary , unless you have a major ( or long term minor ) leak
Apart from the above comment, I would be much in agreement with John’snpist.

Leakage in the braking system should never be tolerated. It is a very serious safety issue.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Sorry , was a little " tongue-in-cheek ". just trying to emphasize that a large remote is unnecessary..

Brake and Clutch remote resevoirs...
B andC res.JPG
B andC res.JPG (162.05 KiB) Viewed 532 times
John ;-)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

There are kits available using various different components, and each has its advocates. The Marina based kit has served me very well and should be considered if you can still find the components.

Opinions vary, but I use a servo operating the discs on the front and the standard drums on the rear. The remote reservoir makes life much easier, provides a better volume to allow for the movement of the calliper pistons, and means no risk of getting dirt into the system - yes, everyone cleans the floor, but there's still a risk when working in the driver's footwell.

You have to remove the mast cylinder to modify it anyway, so fitting the remote reservoir is very little extra work. See this topic: viewtopic.php?p=678375&hilit=declan+reservoir#p678375
davidm1164

Post by davidm1164 »

Thanks to everyone for the advice on the brakes, fitted a mr grumpy kit and is a lot better, but my wife still finds it hard, as some of you said, so am fitting the servo kit from esm, on another note how do i attach proper seat belts to a convertable
Thanks again
Dave
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

on another note how do i attach proper seat belts to a convertable
Hi Dave,
Below are links to a couple of posts that may be of some help. However, you may wish to start a fresh topic to cover this, so you can ask any specific questions that you have, as they arise.
You have a Convertible, by the way, not a Converted table....... :wink: :D
Best wishes,
Mike.

viewtopic.php?p=628115&hilit=seatbelts+ ... le#p628115
viewtopic.php?p=352246&hilit=seatbelts+ ... le#p352246
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)