Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
albertrivero
MMOC Member: No

Recently joined, looking for a van ;)

Post by albertrivero »

Hi there,

I'm Albert, 25 y.o from Barcelona. Let me do a brief intro of myself. I'm from Spain but I've always been very interested in british heritage and classic cars. During a summer job in the UK i bought an Austin A35 on ebay, which was quite tatty, and that I've completely restored over time (took me 6 years lol).

I am now looking for a new project that can complement and get on well with my A35. I've though a Morris Minor van would be just what i'm looking for, as I could very much use the space to carry some bits and bobs from time to time, and also use it as a "camper van".

Don't know much about this cars, but I've joined the forum to see if I can find any buyers guide, and have a look at the common technical problems or faults I need to look at when buying a car, and also the price range of these. I've seen there are not many on sale, and prices are quite steep! Like 15-20 grand!!!

As far as I know, there are like 2 versions of the van (?). The woodie (traveller?) with wood frames, and the "commercial" version that has no wood. For some reason the vans I like the most are these "professional" versions, with decals of an old business or something like that.

So greetings from barcelona, and any recommendation would be helpful :) I don't even know where these vans were exported, so I have no idea if I can get left hand driven versions and if these can be cheaper or more expensive. Although I don't mind, my A35 is R/H, and I'm experienced in importing cars from the UK (although pre-brexit...)

Many thanks in advance
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Recently joined, looking for a van ;)

Post by geoberni »

Welcome Albert
I don't have a Van or a Traveller, but let me just put you straight on the basic difference.

The Traveller is an Estate Car, similar monocoque construction methods to the 2 door car, but a separate rear section, wooden framed with aluminium panels.

The Van is quite different, a commercial vehicle constructed with a separate chassis and both front 'cab' and rear 'body' sections mounted onto it. it was also available with an open top rear section as a 'Pick Up'.
You sometimes find Vans where the rear body was rotted beyond saving and the owner has converted it to a Pick Up with a custom rear body.

I'm sure several Commercial owners will be along soon.
Basil the 1955 series II

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

At least you know SOMETHING about these vehicles, and NOT "I know nothing"....🤣🤣
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
albertrivero

Post by albertrivero »

geoberni wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:46 am Welcome Albert
I don't have a Van or a Traveller, but let me just put you straight on the basic difference.

The Traveller is an Estate Car, similar monocoque construction methods to the 2 door car, but a separate rear section, wooden framed with aluminium panels.

The Van is quite different, a commercial vehicle constructed with a separate chassis and both front 'cab' and rear 'body' sections mounted onto it. it was also available with an open top rear section as a 'Pick Up'.
You sometimes find Vans where the rear body was rotted beyond saving and the owner has converted it to a Pick Up with a custom rear body.

I'm sure several Commercial owners will be along soon.
Hi, oh I see. Many thanks. Some travellers are listed as "vans" and I was getting confused. I see the difference now. (Sorry for this very basic question)
POMMReg wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:10 pm At least you know SOMETHING about these vehicles, and NOT "I know nothing"....🤣🤣
Hahah well thanks. I know the engine is quite similar to my 948cc A35 lol, and that it has 4 wheels. What i don't know is what I should look at apart from corrosion etc. Any common problems, things that are hard to find spares, common engine leaks, ...
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

albert (Alan here) he is referring to an english comedy programme from the 70's called "fawlty towers" where the waiter called Manual always said "i know nothing..... i'm from Barcelona.

I'd get the Morris Pick up if i were you with a canvas top. They are just lovely and better looking.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »