Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Firefly
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Mechanical Fuel Pump

Post by Firefly »

I have a 1960 Morris 948cc and it has a mechanical Fuel pump. Just wondering if this is unusual. I bought the car as a none runner I have got it running and sounds very good. I have had it running on a make shift tank. But can't seam to fine anything about Mechanical pump was it a limited edition.
islecastle
Minor Friendly

Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump

Post by islecastle »

Your origimal engine has been replaced with one from an Austin A35 or A40 Farina probably. Just use it - nothing to worry about. Is the car running with the mechaical or electric pump? Not that it really matters.
1973 Ford Cortina Mk3
1967 Morris Minor 1098 Convertible
1978 MGB GT
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

You won't find it in the workshop manual because the Minor always had a SU electric pump.
However, many other A series engines in other cars used a mechanical pump, as islecastle suggests, the A35.
For example, the original Positive earth 'classic' Mini used an electric pump up to around 1969/70, a pusher pump down by the tank, while subsequent negative earth cars came with a mechanical pump :-? .
There is no electrical reason for that, but they must have coordinated several modifications together. Over the years, several different mechanical pumps were used on the Mini.Some of which could be dismantled and services, while some were sealed for life disposable items.

If you can see any numbers on the pump, it would help identify it for servicing/spares reasons.
There's plenty of info about the various pumps available online.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The original SU electric fuel pumps fitted to many BMC cars, are not polarity sensitive, so their replacement on the Mini was nothing to do with that :wink:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:40 pm The original SU electric fuel pumps fitted to many BMC cars, are not polarity sensitive, so their replacement on the Mini was nothing to do with that :wink:
Like I said, no electrical reason. After having used the electrical pump for some 8-9 years, they switched. :roll: anyone's guess. Perhaps the Pusher pump wasn't as reliable???
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The mechanical pump is not a standard Minor item but was used on several other 'A' Series engines.
The only advantage the electric S.U. fuel pump has over the mechanical pump is that once you switch the ignition on the fuel pump works and primes the carb.
Personally I would leave alone and enjoy.
As regards the classic Mini changing from the pusher S.U. fuel pump to the puller mechanical pump I suspect it had more to do with BL adopting a common fuel pump policy as the majority of Triumph (which became part of BL) cars at that time had mechanical fuel pumps.

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Mechanical pumps are much cheaper, I suspect BL cost reductions were a big part of it.
Firefly
Minor Friendly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you ever one I think I will keep it as it is.