Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Manual gearbox— what’s that?

Post by les »

I’ve just found out that the Mini is no longer available from the factory with a manual gearbox, and no clear indication that anymore will ever be produced, in fact seeing production of new internal combustion engine vehicles are due to stop in eight years time, makes reintroduction more unlikely. Current world events are apparently a reason given, however I can see other manufacturers following suit.
So automatic or electric, is the choice. Petrol price going through the roof, I think the end is in sight, makes you wonder when to sell our old bangers before they are only fit for land fill !! ———— just thought I’d cheer you all up. :D
PS: Nine months wait for a Mini !!

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Manual gearbox— what’s that?

Post by Bill_qaz »

Allegedly
The government of the United Kingdom is already starting to plan for power shortages caused by the charging of thousands of EVs. Starting in June 2022, the government will restrict the time of day you can charge your EV battery. To do this, they will employ smart meters that are programmed to automatically switch off EV charging in peak times to avoid potential blackouts.
In particular, the latest UK chargers will be pre-set to not function during 9-hours of peak loads, from 8 am to 11 am (3-hours), and 4 pm to 10 pm (6-hours).
American Used Car Market
The average used EV will need a new battery before an owner can sell it, pricing them well above used internal combustion cars. The average age of an American car on the road is 12 years. A 12-year-old EV will be on its third battery. A Tesla battery typically costs $10,000 so there will not be many 12-year-old EVs on the road. Good luck trying to sell your used green fairy tale electric car!

It will be a similar situation in the UK, A big chunk of EV sales is down to the tax breaks for business buyers.
I think our Moggies will be safe for many years yet and if you want a manual mini buy a real one not an overgrown BMW lump with a badge.
Regards Bill
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by James k »

I must admit I didn't believe you, Les. I had to go and check the website, assuming you'd seen the American version or something. Usually when I look at 'configure your car' on new cars, automatic is only available on more premium trim levels and the basic is manual only. I find it absolutely astounding. I know automatics have got more popular in recent years but the fact that BMW have dropped it on the MINI entirely has blown my mind slightly. I would have guessed that the overwhelming majority of MINIs were sold with manual transmissions until very very recently.

Think I'm going to need a sit down! :o
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Whilst I don't think we all need to panic-sell our old cars at present, I do think the removal of manual gearboxes (even as an option) from new internal combustion engined cars is possibly linked to the coming of the EV, as the dominant mode of (modern) transport in a few years time.
After all EV's don't have a gearbox as such, so it could be a way of easing us all into the concept of EV driving.
Add in lazy drivers of moderns, who don't want the hassle of a manual and the end could well be nigh.....
It will though be a sad day indeed.....
The past may well have been less safe, however, it increasingly looks like it was a hell of a lot more unrestricted fun!
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I was told a while ago that no Toyota cars have been built with manual gearboxes for some time :cry:
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I've been working on the development of electric cars for 5 years now, batteries will not need changing and most are guaranteed for 8 years anyway, think about it there are plenty of 10 year old plus prius out there on their original battery.

Yes there will be the option to use the battery as a store and control charging, the store option works very well if you have solar panels, you will though have the ability to overide the control.

They are not a magic fix by any means, cost will come down but it's unlikely they will ever be as cheap as a IC engined vehicle, lack of charging points is going to be a major issue and if you DC fast charge them it often costs no less than a IC car per mile.

Autos are a big help with meeting noxious emissions and with only a limited lifetime manufacturers will reduce the complexity of their powertrains to make them affordable.

Even when we move to 100% carbon zero fuels it is very likely you will still be able to get bio fuel for the likes of a minor so no need to sell up yet!
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:10 pm I was told a while ago that no Toyota cars have been built with manual gearboxes for some time :cry:
I don't think this is true. Certainly the 2022 Aygo X comes manual as standard. I don't know about others but last time I browsed Toyota I got the impression that you had the choice between manual or hybrid (CVT).
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The sales information I have for the Yaris states that all models have an automatic gearbox as standard.
The information I have for the Aygo X describes the car as having an "elevated seating position and an advanced S-CVT gearbox".
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Configuring an Aygo X on the Toyota website, I'm given 5 speed manual as standard and automatic as a more expensive option. Perhaps they've advertised the automatic in the sales literature as it's a noteworthy point for a small car like that. They both have a 1.0 72hp engine so I can't imagine the CVT is much fun to drive compared to the manual!

It looks like the normal Yaris is only available in automatic (hybrid) and the GR Yaris, only manual.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

kevin s wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 pm I've been working on the development of electric cars for 5 years now, batteries will not need changing and most are guaranteed for 8 years anyway, think about it there are plenty of 10 year old plus prius out there on their original battery.

Yes there will be the option to use the battery as a store and control charging, the store option works very well if you have solar panels, you will though have the ability to overide the control.

They are not a magic fix by any means, cost will come down but it's unlikely they will ever be as cheap as a IC engined vehicle, lack of charging points is going to be a major issue and if you DC fast charge them it often costs no less than a IC car per mile.

Autos are a big help with meeting noxious emissions and with only a limited lifetime manufacturers will reduce the complexity of their powertrains to make them affordable.

Even when we move to 100% carbon zero fuels it is very likely you will still be able to get bio fuel for the likes of a minor so no need to sell up yet!
Good to have some expert knowledge, I fear Bill_qaz may have been misled! EVs will not take down the national grid, and even if it were true, perhaps we should take a look at the underinvestment into our national grid and negligent energy policy for the last fifteen years.

What worries me more is all cars are becoming more and more expensive, much like houses have, and can only be bought by the rich or through punative finance deals.

Personally, I quite like automatics when on a long drive, gear changing in traffic can become very tedious, and it's great for those with mobility issues.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.