Rear seat belts

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Steveschwer
MMOC Member: No

Rear seat belts

Post by Steveschwer »

I have a 1960 Morris Minor convertible and I’m trying to figure out if rear seat belts can be installed? Any help is much appreciated.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rear seat belts

Post by ManyMinors »

I installed inertia reel seatbelts in the back of my own similar car some years ago. I didn't want the reels fitted to the rear shelf as I thought they might get in the way of the hood when lowered. My solution was to mount the reels inside the boot - onto the rear bulkhead on each side which I strengthened with an additional steel plate. The seatbelt material then pulls through slots carefully cut in the rear shelf and over the passenger shoulder in the normal way. The stalks are bolted through the floor beneath the rear seat in the normal way using a proper seatbelt mounting plate.
The whole job didn't take long and has been in use for many years without any problems.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear seat belts

Post by jagnut66 »

My solution was to mount the reels inside the boot - onto the rear bulkhead on each side which I strengthened with an additional steel plate. The seatbelt material then pulls through slots carefully cut in the rear shelf and over the passenger shoulder in the normal way.
Hi,
Regardless of whether you own a convertible, a two door saloon or a four door saloon, that sounds like a very good idea for the discreet fitment of rear seat belts. :tu1:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)