Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Firefly
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Indicators

Post by Firefly »

I have a 1960 4 door and it has some horrible fitting indicator lights which look like land rover ones which don't fit well. I have trafficator which I want to keep. My question is where can I get some small indicator light if possible the size of the front side lights . If not any suggestions would grateful appreciate
20220603_174542.jpg
20220603_174542.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 451 times
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Indicators

Post by panky »

It may seen sacrilege but you could fit Mini headlights that include side light bulbs and convert the original side lights to indicators by fitting them with orange bulbs. Obviously you would need to fill in the holes left by the indicators you want rid of.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Bill_qaz »

Can't you use the type that are both side light and indicator I believe 62ish
Screenshot_20220604-215211_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220604-215211_Gallery.jpg (267.85 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Regards Bill
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Many cars originally with trafficators and which later had flashers fitted used the domed, orange lamps used on the rear of travellers. A very commonly seen period modification (indeed, I have them on my SII). They will look much better than the ones currently fitted to your car - and by far the easiest solution - straight swap. See here: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... ns-p829940
Last edited by myoldjalopy on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If you fit the slightly later Lucas L488 sidelamp/flasher lamp instead, which was fitted from late 1961, it will do both jobs within one light very neatly and with little cost. The light will fit into the hole left by your original sidelamp and looks little different. You can easily fill the 3 small holes left by your indicators (two from self tapping screws and one from the cable). I did exactly that on my similar age car. Works a treat and is very neat. I can't find a photo but will take one - If I remember.

The lights in Bill's photo of the blue car above are exactly the ones I am referring to :wink:
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:00 pm If you fit the slightly later Lucas L488 sidelamp/flasher lamp instead, which was fitted from late 1961, it will do both jobs within one light very neatly and with little cost. The light will fit into the hole left by your original sidelamp and looks little different. You can easily fill the 3 small holes left by your indicators (two from self tapping screws and one from the cable). I did exactly that on my similar age car. Works a treat and is very neat. I can't find a photo but will take one - If I remember.

The lights in Bill's photo of the blue car above are exactly the ones I am referring to :wink:
I didn't know the lucas number that's why I posted the picture, good info the op to use
Regards Bill
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Or you could fit a LED headlight
rps20201216_161240.jpg
rps20201216_161240.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 406 times
u

most of which come with very bright indicator and much better headlights, not to everyones taste but a great safety improvement if the car is used daily.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

kevin s wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 am Or you could fit a LED headlight rps20201216_161240.jpgu

most of which come with very bright indicator and much better headlights, not to everyones taste but a great safety improvement if the car is used daily.
How does that answer the original question of removing his non standard indicators?
Regards Bill
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I understood he wants to get rid of the ugly second light, he would be back to the standard sidelight and a single headlight all be it a different style of headlight, it's an easy way to add better lighting which is totally reversible, perhaps LED lights for the winter and std set up for the summer show season etc.