Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PeterWebb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

IVA Certificates - Post production Convertibles

Post by PeterWebb »

Good morning,
With thanks to Simon Mitchell for his help recently but I wonder if you guys out there have any experience of dealing with the DVLA and DCSA when the DVLA void the car you've purchased?
I've been struggling to resolve the mis-match between the VIN plate on the car and the VIN number, seemingly, mis-quoted on the V5 returned to me having purchased the car in 2017.
On the 15th March this year the DVLA voided the original registration and its identify and on the 15th April told me "You will need to register your vehicle with a current Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) and a DVLA Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). DVLA will allocate a "Q" registration number....."
I've been trying to understand what all this means and what it is likely to cost but I'm struggle to work my way through the complexities.

The timeline of the cars as far as I can determine with the records that came with the car is this.
Sometime between 1967 and 1993 the car was converted to a Convertible.
She enjoyed patchy use, covering some 4000 miles up until 2004 when she was SORN.
She returned to the road in May 2011 but the MOT station recorded her engine number as the VIN.
In 2012 her MOT was issued in June by the same MOT station but weirdly they recorded a completely different VIN number on the MOT.
In 2013 her MOT wasn't renewed.
In 2017 she was MOT using the different VIN number. However, the records with the car suggest, a few days later when the car as Taxed at the Post office the car documents were retained by the Post Office and sent to the DVLA.
I purchase the car in July 2017 and clearly didn't check the V5 and cars identification with sufficient vigour or scepticism.

I've had to inform the DVLA that the car was converted before my ownership and that there are no records of who complete the conversion other than it was clearly not undertaken by an amateur, all strengthening plates are in place and the welding is good.

Does the Club have a list of those who can undertake a suitable examination to issue an Authorised IVA certificate?
Does anyone know the number of the form I have to fill in to achieve the next step?
Does anyone else have experience of this?
Can anyone offer an explanation of the DVLA's thinking, when the evidence of successive MOTs surely informs them the car is as it should be.

Many thanks for your help... I feel it is going to be a long one and some time before I can drive her again.
Cheers, Peter
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: IVA Certificates - Post production Convertibles

Post by Bowie69 »

If it is more than 25 years ago, there is no IVA requirement, but do check, don't just listen some bloke off the Internet.
PeterWebb
Minor Friendly

Post by PeterWebb »

Hi Bowie69
Thank you for the observation.
I will look more assiduously for that 25 year exception, it certainly makes sense to me.
Peter
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

The 25 year rule is when you follow the re-constructed car path, (basically it would have to be made of parts to the original convertible design). Read up on this but if the club support you I think it may be your best route.
PeterWebb
Minor Friendly

Post by PeterWebb »

Hi Kevin
Thanks, well it is certainly made up of year specific parts,
I’ll read up. All sounds positive.
Peter