Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TravellerTodd
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

[BMC Family Question] disc brakes on A40 Farina

Post by TravellerTodd »

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone here knows whether Marina discs can be transplanted into a mk2 A40 Farina?

I’ve done this upgrade on our Traveller and would love to get discs up front on the Farina - as she’s getting a warmed up Marina 1275 engine later this year. I have seen that the midget disc assembly bolts in with little drama - but Midget parts are very rare in NZ.

Any assistance would be welcome 🙏

Cheers Todd
1958 Traveller, (998)
1969 Austin A40 Farina (948)
Clyde, New Zealand
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: [BMC Family Question] disc brakes on A40 Farina

Post by philthehill »

I also have Marina disc brakes on the front of my Minor and a good set up it is too.
As regards fitting the Marina disc set up to a Austin A40 - the Marina mounting arrangements are completely different to the A40.
I would suggest that the MG Midget/Sprite set up is the easiest to fit and maintain. Near enough a bolt on conversion with no faffing around and having to make and modify parts.
If MG Midget/Sprite parts are in short supply in NZ you can always purchase in the UK and ship to NZ.
For example - I have a BMW motorcycle twin cam head and fuel injection set up awaiting shipping to Queensland, Australia which is going to be fitted to a classic Mini.
Here is a Midget/Sprite disc brake set up suitable for fitting to a A40 :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233557925477 ... Sw4HFelDU1
If you have a contact in the UK who can hold the disk brake assys whilst you organise the shipping would be of great help. That is what is happening with the BMW items. I am just holding them whilst the shipping is being organised.
The MG Centre Wrexham (see link above) may be able to arrange shipping for you.

TravellerTodd
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: [BMC Family Question] disc brakes on A40 Farina

Post by TravellerTodd »

Geez, thanks for the detailed reply Phil - that is amazing. I will have a look into the logistics of the shipping, probably my best option. Thanks for clarifying that there is little compatibility with the marina. Much appreciated. Cheers Todd
1958 Traveller, (998)
1969 Austin A40 Farina (948)
Clyde, New Zealand