Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Yacht varnish for traveller wood?

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Hello all, read the Ray Newell book and I’ve got my traveller’s wood all stripped back, ready for Cuprinol, Sikkens Cetol HLS, and Sikkens Filter 7, all as prescribed. BUT, someone I know who has spent 30+ years restoring old cars (including a pre-war Rolls!) reckons that yacht varnish is the way to go. Not seen this recommended on the forums and ‘the book’ says that any water getting in at the joints, can’t evaporate if varnished, which makes sense.

Just interested in opinions please….?
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Yacht varnish for traveller wood?

Post by Grumpy21 »

When I bought my traveller the PO had replaced the wood 7 years previous and treated in with ‘polyurethane yacht varnish’. It had cracked and blackened at every joint and although still hard looked unsightly.

I spent weeks getting it all off and then using acid and bleach to remove the black stains. Fortunately the wood itself was still good.

I first applied danish oil but this didn’t go well as it collected too much road dirt and proved impossible to keep clean. So it all came off again to be treated with Sikkens. 8 months later it’s as good as the day I finished the job, water just beads on the surface, even at the joints. I wouldn’t consider using anything else.

Ps my car is specifically for when I want to drive a classic but the weather isn’t suitable for a convertible so it generally only sees poor weather.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

There's a good reason that you don't see it recommended anywhere. When first applied to new wood, you cannot beat the appearance of varnish. If the car is kept in a warm dry room and never used, then the varnish remains the best option. If you plan to use the car on the road, and/or store it outside, then one of the microporous flexible finishes that you see recommended will be best. Which one? Put ten Traveller owners in a room and you'll get at least 12 opinions :o
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

What a great couple of answers!! Made me laugh which, after 5 hours of sanding, I needed - thank you!

Interesting point Grumpy, re the blackening from the previous varnish, as I have some of that too, especially on the rear pillars. The book says not to use bleach/whitener though so I’m cautious on that.

Thanks both for confirming. I’ll stick with the Cuprinol 5 star and two Sikkens products. I might try the whitener as well. After all my work today it’d sure be nice to get rid of the remaining dark marks.
Philip

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Oh, and to the point re usage vs keeping it indoors, thanks for confirming my own thoughts. Mine lives on the drive and is my daily driver now, even through next winter.
Philip

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Interesting point about Danish oil above too.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

NOOOOO!! Not yacht varnish! Use Osmo oil - brilliant stuff
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Thanks Biggles, but I'm already starting my second coat of Cuprinol and Sikkens mix I'm afraid. Good to see you upholding the 12 different answers though 😁
Philip

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I was a big advocate of Osmo oil but didn't have a good long term result with it

I've used the Sikkens treatment this time, same as you.

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Now that, is a lovely looking traveller Panky. Thanks for the pic. Both smoke grey then!

I hope mine ends up like yours. I've just finished the second coat of base (30%) and Cuprinol and it's looking very dark right now. Almost orange. I know it'll lighten as it dries though.
Philip

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Ted is Bermuda blue but the arch beading is smoke grey :D . The base does look a little orangey at first but I only applied one coat of base then three of top coat.
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

A question or two please, if you don’t mind.

Is your wood new? I sanded mine a LOT but it looks much darker than yours.

Did you mix Cuprinol with the base coat as the book says? I did, but they didn’t properly mix because one is water based and the other oil, which has given an inconsistent finish. I wonder whether the book was written when Cuprinol was oil based.
Philip

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yes except for the doors, which did turn out a shade darker, it's all new. I used a few coats oil based Cuprinol (you can still get it if you search) neat and left for a week to properly dry then the Sikkens. I think it's only fairly recently that Cuprinol had changed so yes I would think the information you read is out of date.

Shade difference between old and new. I used a razor sharp triangular scraper to get the old treatment off the doors then hit it with the palm sander. Sanding alone doesn't seem to take all the old varnish off.

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Cheers, appreciate the reply. That explains it, as your doors look like the whole of my car. I’ll press on, ta very much.
Philip

burton boy

Post by burton boy »

I have recently, re-varnished my traveller wood with Le Tonkinois marine varnish. You can buy it at shows like NEC restoration show the guy demonstrates the varnish. It's easy to apply and shows barely any brush strokes, it contains Linseed oil and tung oil.
Prior to that I have always used standard Yacht varnish. As I understand it Yacht varnish was used originally.
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

As I often post questions and forget the answers, I thought I’d show the pictures of my finished woodwork, in case it helps anybody else. FYI, Cuprinol wood preserver, Sikkens Cetol HLS in pine 077, and Sikkens Filter 7 in pine 077 x 2 coats. All edges sealed with Sika Sikaflex EBT+.
A902AA2F-A39C-489F-9D15-C0B3A273418C.jpeg
A902AA2F-A39C-489F-9D15-C0B3A273418C.jpeg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 590 times
DC6B04DF-04CF-41AD-AD47-EBB5CA136029.jpeg
DC6B04DF-04CF-41AD-AD47-EBB5CA136029.jpeg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 590 times
10A91BC2-0A1D-4BC8-BAE3-ED1FAF42B0F5.jpeg
10A91BC2-0A1D-4BC8-BAE3-ED1FAF42B0F5.jpeg (4.23 MiB) Viewed 590 times
Philip

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Looks fantastic, great job 8)
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Cheers 🙂. I can’t say I’d want to do it again, but that Filter 7 is wonderful stuff. Don’t think I’ve ever used a product that quite brings everything together so well.
Philip