Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cyrus
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Glovebox liners deflocking

Post by cyrus »

Hi my glovebox liners on my late saloon are actually in good shape, not distorted at all, but the flock constantly comes off and creates a mess inside. I'm thinking of rubbing down the insides to remove the remaining flock and perhaps giving them a coat of thinned down pva glue to seal them inside and out, what have other people done?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: Glovebox liners deflocking

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Unfortunately this happens and nothing can be done to stop it. Can’t complain as the cars were not meant to last until the 2020’s. Personally I would not use any adhesives or even try to retain the flock, but instead vacuum out the shedded bits.
cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:28 pm Unfortunately this happens and nothing can be done to stop it. Can’t complain as the cars were not meant to last until the 2020’s. Personally I would not use any adhesives or even try to retain the flock, but instead vacuum out the shedded bits.
I wouldn't mind getting rid of what flock is left if possible, (loads of it falls off if I just run my fingers over it)and apply something that would soak in and resist moisture and dirt, which is why I was considering watered down PVA brushed on. Might try a small area on the back first
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Just get rid of the flock then - maybe judicious use of some abrasive material?
cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

myoldjalopy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:20 pm Just get rid of the flock then - maybe judicious use of some abrasive material?
Yes just done it! All it took was the green side of a kitchen sponge, did it completely dry and it all came off very easily. That in itself looks a lot better. Will post a pic later
cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

Here are the results so far. I put a blob of pva glue in water and painted the glovebox inside and out to seal it and let it dry. I had some off white water based paint suitable for exterior use left over from another project and put 2 thin coats on the exterior of the glovebox for extra protection. Now I have to decide whether to use this on the inside as well or just leave the patina as is. But in any case the flock is gone :D
Attachments
IMG_20220601_102106.resized.jpg
IMG_20220601_102106.resized.jpg (73.75 KiB) Viewed 918 times
IMG_20220601_102012.resized.jpg
IMG_20220601_102012.resized.jpg (99.34 KiB) Viewed 918 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Good work! I'd be inclined to leave the interior as it now has that nice 'patina' - unless, of course, if your car is pristine in every other way!
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

I covered the inside of ours with VInyl (one piece glued to the sides / top/bottom then wrapped back over the front edge and piecce of hardboard cut to fit in the back and covered
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

I simply replaced my stained, distorted and torn liner with the new PVC type.
No mess, waterproof, washable and a doddle to fit! :)
Attachments
IMG_20220601_152701.jpg
IMG_20220601_152701.jpg (333.56 KiB) Viewed 900 times

cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:50 am Good work! I'd be inclined to leave the interior as it now has that nice 'patina' - unless, of course, if your car is pristine in every other way!
The interior is very nice but not pristine so leaving it as it is might indeed be the way to go.

Not occurred to me to cover them with vinyl, kevin s

I like your liners Boomlander assume they are probably at least as expensive as the ESM ones, where did you get them from?
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

They sell on Ebay for around the same price as the fibre board type. :D

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Just checked the prices of liners and the new PVC ones are actually cheaper than ESM! :D :D

cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

Boomlander wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:19 am Just checked the prices of liners and the new PVC ones are actually cheaper than ESM! :D :

That's not bad then.....anyway I bit the bullet and painted the inside as well. This paint is pretty tough and has been used on the wheelhouse doors of a boat, been outside for 2 yrs and not deteriorated or peeled off so I am fairly confident. Tried to scratch some paint off with my nail and couldn't, seems to stay flexible rather than go rock hard. Here is the result....
Attachments
glovebox.resized.jpg
glovebox.resized.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 841 times