Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Degreaser

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hi peeps, I want to clean up and repaint the engine bay floor - can anyone recommend a suitable, effective and easy to use degreaser product?
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Re: Degreaser

Post by Classiccars »

Maybe gunk
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

Gunks good.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The company that I served my apprenticeship with, used a chemical called trichloroethylene (tric). Parts were suspended above a tank of the liquid, the fumes alone did the degreasing! I think it’s now banned.
I worked in another department but made use of the facility now and then, when doing a little ‘homework’

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Yes, Trichlo would be good but I doubt you would get it now unfortunately. The best for a job like this is a water soluble degreaser which you brush on and rinse off, of which there are many types available (a 5 litre can of Carplan degreaser has lasted me 10 years), or even petrol used sensibly will remove the most stubborn deposits.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I remember the tric tank where I worked, about 8ft long 4ft wide and 6ft deep - boy did I clean some parts in there! It's very ozone depleting hence it's no longer used.
I have used petrol for years but of late bought a gallon of paraffin and I'm finding it better than petrol.

Alan
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

I guess petrol would be OK for small areas and cheaper than products for a one off job .May do that myself ta.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Volatile, flammable solvents should be avoided wherever possible - too many using them in confined spaces where sparks may cause ignition/explosion. Most are not good for the environment, either.

Dipping in a volatile solvent might be acceptable, but not swilling the solvent around in the open!

Use a proper detergent and a suitable method of removal - like a strong water jet (pressure washer?), is my asvice.

The reason for the banning of Trike was toxicity, back before atmospheric pollution was regarded as important.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Paraffin leaves a greasy residue which is good for things like cycle chains and nuts and bolts where this is beneficial, but no good for applying paint. Hence petrol is ideal because it evaporates and leaves the treated area dry as a bone.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thanks for your replies. I will want to paint afterwards - will gunk allow that?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Then maybe a wipe over with brake/clutch cleaner, it evaporates quick and degreases.

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

As it's the body you are cleaning I would avoid any thing based on solvents (unless you want to strip all the paint off!) a couple of goings over with a water based degreaser and then some panel wipe should do it.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Try neat concentrated orange juice, we used to use it to clean aluminium prior to welding.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, in the end I used some Green Gunk (supposed to be better for the environment) and it did the job, although there was a stubborn bit of baked on oil that I needed to scrub a bit with a plastic scourer. Anyway, the dirty work is over! :D
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Good to know Green Gunk