Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Christmas

Post by philthehill »

I know it is not Christmas yet but just spotted this on 'e' bay. Motoring mag from 1949.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291487014886 ... Sw3xJVdW7f

KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Christmas

Post by KeithL »

The article 'Sawdust History' sounds interesting.

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

There still seems to be quite a lot of copies available on eBay from the 50's and 60's - peak BMC period. I've bought a few random copies for a bit of light reading. I must say, they are fascinating, well worth reading.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Another magazine worth having a look at is Car & Car Conversions magazines from the period 1965 - 1970. Lots of good articles and tuning tips, the adverts are worth a look at in themselves. Lots of BMC content with the occasional Morris Minor thrown in for good measure. I have managed to obtain quite a few from the 65 -70 period and I am always finding new information and tips on maintaining and tuning the 'A' Series.

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Is it just me or were motoring magazines from pre war to the seventies (e.g practical motorist or Car & Conversions) of much more interest and use than modern magazines ? I have some copies of Practical Motorist and some pre war copies of 'Morris Owner' magazine. Some wonderfully nostalgic reading.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am certain you are right about being more interesting plus the nostalgia factor.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

philipkearney wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:37 pm Is it just me or were motoring magazines from pre war to the seventies (e.g practical motorist or Car & Conversions) of much more interest and use than modern magazines ? I have some copies of Practical Motorist and some pre war copies of 'Morris Owner' magazine. Some wonderfully nostalgic reading.
Basically yes.
Magazines from that period were covering all manner of aspects of ownership, including maintenance.
Most modern magazines are just reviews, because there is little an owner can do on their modern vehicle.
To quote Wikipedia
Practical Motorist was a British car magazine founded on 12 May 1934 (as The Practical Motorist) by George Newnes Ltd. Its emphasis was on DIY car maintenance supplemented with more general motoring topics. Initially it was a weekly magazine until publication was suspended in 1940. It was relaunched as a monthly in 1954, retitled Practical Motorist & Motor Cyclist, reverting to Practical Motorist in 1959. Publication ceased in 1997
There's not sufficient readership willing or able to do 'DIY' on a modern...
Basil the 1955 series II

nutsandbolts
Minor Friendly

Post by nutsandbolts »

I love the front cover artwork on the 50's practical motorist mags, they are good enough to frame. Plus as mentioned the DIY jobs, remember all the guys under the bonnet on nearly every street on a sunny Sunday morning!
the most unreliable part of a car is the nut holding the steering wheel!
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

geoberni wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:32 am
To quote Wikipedia
Practical Motorist was a British car magazine founded on 12 May 1934 (as The Practical Motorist) by George Newnes Ltd. Its emphasis was on DIY car maintenance supplemented with more general motoring topics. Initially it was a weekly magazine until publication was suspended in 1940. It was relaunched as a monthly in 1954, retitled Practical Motorist & Motor Cyclist, reverting to Practical Motorist in 1959. Publication ceased in 1997
I never knew it was around until 1997, it must have had a small circulation by then. All the copies that I ever see are usually from the 40's and 50's with very few after that.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

nutsandbolts wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:08 pm I love the front cover artwork on the 50's practical motorist mags, they are good enough to frame. Plus as mentioned the DIY jobs, remember all the guys under the bonnet on nearly every street on a sunny Sunday morning!
Completely agree. The artwork on the front covers was wonderful. Framing them is a good idea. I may just get some clip frames and do just that !