Tie down points on Morris Traveller

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mike.unsworth
MMOC Member: Yes

Tie down points on Morris Traveller

Post by mike.unsworth »

Hi there, I am picking up a Traveller this weekend and using a trailer to transport said vehicle home. I wonder if anyone has suggestions where to secure the vehicle on trailer with straps? I have seen straps over wheels and straps hooked to chassis underneath. Any recommendations welcome please
Mike U :)
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Re: Tie down points on Morris Traveller

Post by Steve Phillips »

Straps should always be around the wheels not body/chassis.

if you strap the body/chassis the straps will become loose and tight as the vehicle bounces up and down on the journey,

Note, you need one strap per wheel, if you only run 2 or 3 straps you can get in trouble for an insecure load, unless you have a 3 wheeler that is.......

Steve
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The best way of securing a Minor on a trailer is to use ratchet over wheel straps secured to eye bolt mountings on the trailer.
You can use a couple of ratchet straps over the rear axle or springs and running to the trailer but mind the brake pipes on the rear axle. Use rubbing pads where the straps fit over the axle or springs to avoid chaffing and wear.
You can use a couple of ratchet straps from the front suspension arms to the trailer. Again use rubbing pads otherwise the strap will chaff and wear through.
Ratchet straps should be fitted diagonally to hold the car central on the trailer.
The ratchet straps can be fitted so as to run forwards or backwards so long as they hold the car central on the trailer.
Make sure that the car is balanced on the trailer with a trailer nose weight of about 70lb. Let the trailer carry the weight not the towing vehicle.
Check the security/tightness of the straps after a few miles as it is surprising how slack they can become one settled into position.
If you have an anti-sway bar its fitment is most desirable. I would never tow my car trailer without one. I will never forget being pushed into a sway by a lorry on the Ashburton by-pass and having to increase speed to get out of it. Most frightening :-?

mike.unsworth

Post by mike.unsworth »

Many thanks for the replies and I now have a better idea of how to secure the vehicle. I am extremely grateful and will post a photo here once we have it stored safely ready for towing. Will certainly be stopping to check tension regularly on long journey back home. :)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

If you're renting or borrowing the trailer, I would A) make sure it is a proper Vehicle Transport Trailer, and B) get instructions from the provider on how to use their straps, just in case they are some proprietary type with their own method of use. There are some differences.

Take a look here for typical tie-down use. https://www.iwt.co.uk/products/car-transporter/
Basil the 1955 series II