Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Gearbox question

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have recently had to change out Elsie May's gearbox, due to her deciding to 'lunch' her gears (first time I've had to fish out lumps of metal before I could add my waste oil to the creosote).
The dead gearbox was the ribbed case one I bought her with, so I've no idea how many miles it had done, before it did this. However, I got quite a few out of it before this happened, so I can't complain.
The second hand (rib case) one I replaced it with started well......
I engaged first and drove off the drive, drove off and changed through first, second and third without any issue. It was nice to be back behind the wheel of a Minor again.....
Then I put it into fourth, she went in smoothly enough, the momentum continuing nicely....
Then she jumped out!
And this is how it continued all the way to the show I was attending with MADMOG, in, out, in, out, back in and back out again.....
To be fair I got to the show (I wasn't turning back!!) and back home again, finally settling on putting it in fourth and holding it (firmly) in gear.
Reversing back down the drive into the garage wasn't an issue either, so shame about that one gear and odd that it was fourth.
I've heard of first and second getting worn and jumping out before but never fourth.
C'est la vie...... :roll:
Anyway, I had one more second hand (rib case) gearbox to try. This one, I believe, is the one that I collected that came out of a Traveller that was loved, cared for, rebuilt...
And then shunted up the rear end and written off, much to the owners dismay.
I saw it under the covers, looking very sorry for itself, as it's bits were stripped and sold off by said owner.
So, I've fitted this gearbox, refilled the oil and today took it for a test drive and all the gears seem to function correctly, except that some are a bit 'stiff' to disengage.
First selects and comes out nicely, into second okay but then I have to 'bat' it a couple of times with the palm of my hand to get it back out again. Funnily enough, I found if the engine speed / speed is right she pops out and slots across straight into third, if not I can slot her into third okay, she then changes to fourth okay but, again, I have to bat her a couple of times with the palm of my hand to get her back out again.
Reverse is stiff to go in and also has to batted back out.
Overall the gearbox works, with effort. However, unless I miss-timed it, there was no 'crunching' involved during the changes, up or down.
Do you think that it just needs using, to wear it in?
Is this the sign of a rebuilt, then unused, gearbox?
It has been sat for a while, in the horizontal (as in use) position, not vertical, propped on one end, which I believe is the wrong way to store a MM gearbox.
The only other thing is she does is weep oil out passed her rear seal, so I've ordered a replacement, which I hope to pick up and fit tomorrow.
As always, many thanks in advance for any thoughts / advice on this subject.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Gearbox question

Post by oliver90owner »

Seems more like a gate problem than gears. Maybe a rebuild problem. I’m certainly not an expert on gearboxes, so just my best guess.
serowman
Minor Friendly

Post by serowman »

Could be a clutch ploblem?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Seems more like a gate problem than gears
Could be a clutch ploblem?
Thanks for the replies.
Regarding the clutch, I can engage the gears without grinding or crunching.
Apart from reverse gear (which is stiff going in and out), they (2nd and 4th) are only stiff to disengage.
Or do others think it could be a case of further adjustment being needed?
The 'gate' option worries me, as I don't know of any external adjustment screws on these gearboxes.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

If it were me I would buy a brand new (fully refurbished) gearbox from MCCS engineering. I think they are £600 or so. I don’t know what you’re paying for second hand gearboxes but cheap usually ends up expensive in the long run.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

To be fair, I have been lucky with second hand boxes, up until now.
If I can go with this one I will but thanks for informing me of them, as they are only just the other side of Nottingham, so quite close for me.
Of course, the other reason I'd like this one to work for me is I am fed up with stripping the car down to change them out.... :wink:
I'd quite like to be driving and enjoying it...........
Best wishes,
Mike.
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Yes hopefully it works out for you! Atleast if you go with a refurb there’s bound to be some sort of guarantee on it. & I also wondered if a new refurb has a 1st gear synchro which would be good.

I’m contemplating changing my gearbox also, mine works fine, but I think the earlier cars had different gear ratios to later models, might only be the difference of a few mph though so perhaps not worth it.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

might only be the difference of a few mph though so perhaps not worth it.

‘Fraid it won’t make it any faster (or slower). Top gear is direct on 4 speed gearboxes. Different gear ratios are selected according to the torque characteristics and rev range of the engine.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I also wondered if a new refurb has a 1st gear synchro which would be good.
You could ask but from what I read on their site it looks like they refurb them to standard spec, apart from an upgrade to the front oil seal, if you request it.
No mention of a first gear synchro option that I saw.
I believe they refurbish the early 'smooth case' gearboxes with the later (stronger) rib case internals though. So you could keep the original gear lever position.
Best wishes,
Mike.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have never seen or come across a first gear synchro conversion kit for the Minor gearbox.
Having the use of synchro on first gear was one of the reasons for changing the Minor box to the Ford box plus the fact that the Ford box is a stronger item.