Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Number plates

Post by MoggyMatilda »

What are the correct plates for a 1958 Minor? Were there any variations at the time?

The plates I have are pressed with black background silver letters. I quite like the look of white letters & numbers. My front plate is bent so I’m going to purchase a new one.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Number plates

Post by jagnut66 »

You'll see a mix on all cars up until the law changed and they had to be reflective.
From what I've seen, pre-war cars seem to be of the 'pressed' type.
It looks like the 'Ace' style of separate plate and raised letters / numbers, riveted in place, started to be used post-war.
I think raised silver came first, then raised white but throughout you could still get pressed Alloy plates and it seems that by the late sixties / early seventies pressed plates came to the fore again.
However, this is just from what I've seen / been told / seem to remember reading, so I stand to be corrected.
At the end of the day, it's your car and if you need to replace the plates anyway, fit what you find most aesthetically pleasing.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The Motor Car Act 1903, which came into force on 1 January 1904, required all motor vehicles to be entered on an official vehicle register, and to carry alphanumeric plates.
They had to be registered with the Local Council.
The older pre-reflective plates could have White, Grey or Silver Characters on a Black Background.
As far as you're concerned for a Minor, any or those, in any style offered by a legitimate manufacturer is fine.
Different styles came and went into fashion, they were all legal,
One thing that did seem to change, was the regulations covering the height of the characters.
I don't know what if any 'standard ' there was pre 1950, but as far as I can work out between 50 and '63/4, characters were 3 1/2" tall, then in '63/4 they became 3 1/8" tall after the Ministry of Transport amended the Regulations in '62.

So you should have 3 1/2" characters.
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Why don’t you just straighten the bent one.
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

I could try to straighten it but there’ll always be a few creases in it, I think it takes away from what is a pretty straight & good looking car. It sort of stands out a mile, hence why I want to change it. Or maybe I just have OCD lol!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Worth looking at "Tippers Classic and Vintage Plates" on the internet. I bought a set from them and remain very pleased. When you bought a new car in those days, there was a choice depending on what style you wanted and how much you wished to spend. It is the same now.
As Berni has already said, your car will look more "correct" with the larger 3.1/2" characters. These became smaller from 1963 because that's when the year suffix was introduced and the smaller size allowed that 7th character to be fitted in :wink:
It is surprising how well the original number plates can be restored. I have done so on both of my 1950s cars in order to retain that original look.