Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor celebration

Post by jagnut66 »

Why?
Because for the first time in 15 years of Morris Minor ownership (and 29 years of classic car ownership in total -- my first being a 1961 Jaguar MK2 bought for £5K -- yes, roadgoing and MOT'd! -- those were the days......) I no longer have to check the weather reports, before commencing work.
Neither am I facing the task ahead on either rough ground or, if I was lucky, tarmac.
I am not in a side road (hoping no-one complains) or working down a back alley.....
I am not wondering whether the surface is level enough, or firm enough, for axle stands....
I am no longer completely exposed and watching the clouds....
Or just plain working in the rain and getting soaked, because a job had to be done.....
I have removed an engine / gearbox on concrete and in the cover of a spacious garage! :D
Yes, it's built of wood (raised off the floor on concrete blocks) and yes, it could be described as a bit 'Heath Robinson'......
(The walls will eventually be plasterboarded.)
But then it cost me allot less than a preformed one, plus none of the manufacturers who initially said 'yes, we can do bespoke' wanted to construct it after I'd explained the shape and dimensions to them (it's trapezoid -- governed by the space I have available to me beside my house)....
Plus I can say: I built this! :D
Long may it continue!
So, like I say, a bit of minor celebration....
Time to open that bottle of wine.....

Best wishes,
Mike.
First engine & gearbox out in my new garage 2.JPG
First engine & gearbox out in my new garage 2.JPG (1015.05 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
First engine & gearbox out in my new garage 4.JPG
First engine & gearbox out in my new garage 4.JPG (1019.95 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
NB: The reason, by the way, is that Elsie May has 'lunched' the internals of the gearbox she came with and my first (supposedly) viable alternative regularly jumps out of 4th gear....... :roll:
I am hoping that the other spare one I have works without issue.
My fingers are crossed......
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)