Two other old photos

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Two other old photos

Post by Blaketon »

I sent this story to Minor Matters but it didn’t make it to print :-? .

My mother’s aunt (And my godmother) had her first car in the late 1950s, a brand new, green Morris Minor 1000. Her brother in law arranged the purchase (He ran a transport business and was more used to that kind of thing) but when he called my mother’s aunt, to say that he had found a car that was available, he said there was a snag. It was green and apparently my great grandmother was superstitious about green. My mother’s aunt said not to worry about that and her mother never once mentioned the colour, being happy to ride in the car.

My mother’s aunt died in 2013, aged 92 and her younger sister died in 2020, aged 97 (The last of her generation). The son, of the youngest sister, has put together many family photos and scanned them. He provided the two shown. It was taken at her parents' small holding and my mother pointed out, not at the same time, as the trees have leaves in one but not the other!!

The car was sold after my mother’s aunt got married (Relatively late in life) and her husband had a light blue Minor, which I think was newer and so that was kept (I remember that car). Years later, they called in on my parents and my Traveller happened to be there. My mother’s aunt asked if she could sit in it and she said “I could still drive this, I wish I’d never sold mine” (My mother always reminds me not to forget that, as I get older). After Minors, they had a Marina or two, a Triumph Acclaim and ended up with a Honda Civic. She couldn’t see over the bonnet of that car but had stopped driving anyway (Not for any reason other than just leaving it to her husband). I never thought to let her have a try. She wasn’t at all “Doddery” and was helping out in a nursing home (She was a nursing sister), until at least the age of 85; some of those, she was helping to look after, were younger than she was!! As she wasn’t a named driver, it would have been illegal for me to let her drive it but I’m sure she would have come to no harm….but it someone else had caused an accident, it could have been awkward.
Attachments
Auntie Mabel's Minor.jpg
Auntie Mabel's Minor.jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
853 PPK.jpg
853 PPK.jpg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Two other old photos

Post by myoldjalopy »

Coincidence - I had a great-aunt Mabel, who owned a black 1957 4-door from new! :)