Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Water in boot

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Anyone have water gathering in the boot when it rains? I was thinking of drilling a few small drainage holes.

I usually keep the car garaged during the winter months, but as of late there’s been a few heavy showers when I have the car out.

It also doesn’t help matters that I’ve a few small holes along the bottom of the boot lid which I have on the list of things to fix.
philipkearney
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Water in boot

Post by philipkearney »

As well as the holes in the bottom of the boot, check the hinges, badges and number plate light are sealed. I've seen water get in behind all of these - and in bigger quantities than you might imagine !
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, I made a rubber gasket from an old inner tube to seal the badge on my SII's boot. Other gaskets may need to be replaced if perished (e.g. hinge gaskets). In addition, check where the wiring exits the boot to go to the tails lamps - should be grommets here.....I squidged some black mastic in here to assist the rather tired grommets when I found water in the boot after driving in the wet. Also check the boot seal itself.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Also check the boot seal, there are 2 types, the earlier version was the best at sealing any gaps, https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... id-p828025
You may need to adjust the lock to allow the boot lid to close.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Thanks will check the seals etc….