Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Gearbox dust seal dropped into clutch area

Post by mowogg »

I changed my steering rack yesterday and in the process disturbed the top gearbox dust seal. I cannot find it so I can only assume its fallen inward into the clutch area.

I have peered in the bottom of the clutch area via the lower seal but I cannot see it.

I have not dared to turn it over. I cannot be the 1st person to have done this.. Is it going to be an issue?

I am in 2 minds. It will either just get destroyed by the clutch or cause damage to the clutch

Do I need to drop the gearbox to find it or can I ignore it?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearbox dust seal dropped into clutch area

Post by philthehill »

I would turn the engine over and see if the dust seal drops to the bottom of the bell housing and if you see it remove it through the L/H clutch lever aperture.
It is best if you can remove the dust seal from the bell housing that is if it is inside the bell housing. Have another good look around the outside of the bell housing because it could have ended up anywhere.
Good luck

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

You should be able to fish it out when it becomes visible. Use a bamboo cane with chewing gum or blutac on the end.
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

Update

I have jacked it up high so i can see it. Now i have better access i have:

Turned the engine over slowly by the handle while looking in to the area - i have watched a complete 360 degrees of the clutch by doing this.
Removed the starter motor thinking it must have dropped into this area but no trace.
Looked around the gearbox area, felt on top of the gearbox but no trace.

I guess i could take the gearbox floor out but i am not sure its really going to be hiding much.

I am wondering if it could have fallen down between the flywheel and the clutch hence why i cannot see it?

I guess the next step will be to turn it over on the starter motor to see if it turns ok (no issues on the handle) and maybe even start it?

Any ideas welcome?