Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobMoggie68
MMOC Member: No

Q plate questions

Post by RobMoggie68 »

Hi. Thanks for the add.

I finally bought myself a '68 Moggie 4 door, after many years having one on my bucket list.
The car had no V5, but I wasn't too concerned, as I've applied for them before, without issue..........until I noticed the VIN plate was missing, so I couldn't complete the V62.
After a few emails, DVLA advised they'd get someone to inspect the car.......the inspector was happy the car was genuine and I was expecting to receive my log book and details of where to get a new VIN plate (I have subsequently been told the VIN number via another source and that the last change of ownership was 1979)
Brown envelope arrives from DVLA today.......no V5.......a letter saying they are using to put it on a Q plate and asking me to complete a built up vehicle report and first registration/tax application forms.

I saw this topic was discussed on here several years ago, but it didn't seem to reach a firm conclusion. I'm wondering what the fuller implications are of this, in terms of tax/MOT exemption etc. ?

Can anyone advise/assist ?

Thanks

Rob
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Q plate questions

Post by MorrisJohn »

RobMoggie68 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:47 pm
I saw this topic was discussed on here several years ago, but it didn't seem to reach a firm conclusion. I'm wondering what the fuller implications are of this, in terms of tax/MOT exemption etc. ?

Can anyone advise/assist ?

Thanks

Rob
Hi Rob. Sorry I can’t answer your specific question about the implications of a Q plate. I’m sure someone will be able to. I can’t help but wonder though if there would be implications in terms of the cars value should you ever sell it.

Anyway, I would suggest now that you have obtained the VIN it must be worth contacting the DVLA to inform them of this and enquire again about the V5 and suitable age related plate?
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Don't enquire, just complete a V62 asking for the V5C in your name and quoting the correct chassis number, IF you are certain that it is correct - making a false declaration is a criminal offence.

Even if the chassis plate is missing, are there other numbers on other plates? One will be the body number. You can get a Heritage Certificate from Gaydon and that willmatch chassis, body, key and engine numbers to the car (subject to any changes over the years).
RobMoggie68

Post by RobMoggie68 »

I had already sent in a V62, so can't re-apply.......was only given chassis number after I'd sent it off.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The chassis number being found is relevant new information though. It is not a "built up vehicle" so the original chassis number should be re-instated. The DVLA don't know their own rules sometimes..........
Did you look for the chassis number where it would have been stamped into the RH front floor pan? Sometimes this area has been replaced of course but it is worth a look if you haven't already.
RobMoggie68

Post by RobMoggie68 »

I had a good look on the floor pan, but couldn't see anything. Do you think DVLA will accept the new info, with an actual VIN plate?
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Does the car have an engine, gearbox and axles ? The engine and rear axle number will have serial numbers stamped on them. If you have the vin number, get a heritage certificate from the British Motor Museum - I think they are about £40, and this will give you all the build details on record - as Simmitc has suggested. It won't give you the registration number but with all the other info to authenticate the car, the dvla should accept this as evidence and issue an age related number.

As I understand it, if more information comes to light, you can reapply, it's not a one time process.

There could also be a small plate screwed to the top of the bulkhead (on the passenger side) with the body number on it or if it still exists, a stamped plate on the passenger side tie plate.

Try to get as much evidence as you can to authenticate these numbers and then go back to the dvla.
RobMoggie68

Post by RobMoggie68 »

The car does have the body number plate, which they have pictures of.
Where would the rear axle number be stamped ?