Gearbox oil

Post by MoggyMatilda »

What oil should I put in my gearbox?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearbox oil

Post by philthehill »

Straight 30 oil - but 20W/50 oil will be perfect.

MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Thanks 👍🏻
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As above, assuming that it's a standard Minor gearbox and not a conversion with a different box.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I'd use a classic grade of 20/50 the modern stuff will not have many of the addatives that made it possible for morris to use an engine oil in a gearbox.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Have a quick think about gearboxes. Particularly Austin/Morris ones.

The mini gearbox was run on engine oil for the whole of its lifespan. That gearbox (much like the minor internals?) coped well with the engine oil - even with combustion contaminants between service intervals.

I suspect that anything specially designated as “classic” is likely to be more ‘marketing hype’ than real, useful information.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

oliver90owner wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:09 pm
I suspect that anything specially designated as “classic” is likely to be more ‘marketing hype’ than real, useful information.
You've never heard of ZDDP then.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Nearly ten thousand miles ago, I switched to Redline MT90 fully synthetic in my bog standard ribbed gear box after the advice of a very experience automotive engineer. It contains all the protective elements required, and changing gear is now like the proverbial 'hot knife through butter' - it's just so much nicer to use than when I used the 'traditional' oil previously. Yes, it is more expensive compared to standard oil, but to me it's paid for itself many times over with the improved gear changing experience.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I am also doing the same with a modern gear oil, our gearbox wasn't fantastic to start with but no deterioration since, gear oils are developed specificly for the stresses in a gearbox, while any oil is far better than nothing and reflects what morris had available 50 years or more ago something designed for the job has in my opinion got to be the best option.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Pete Bags wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:05 am Nearly ten thousand miles ago, I switched to Redline MT90 fully synthetic in my bog standard ribbed gear box after the advice of a very experience automotive engineer. It contains all the protective elements required, and changing gear is now like the proverbial 'hot knife through butter' - it's just so much nicer to use than when I used the 'traditional' oil previously. Yes, it is more expensive compared to standard oil, but to me it's paid for itself many times over with the improved gear changing experience.

Sounds ace, my gearbox isn’t too bad but I suspect the oil hasn’t been changed in quite awhile since the interior carpets are glued down on top of the filler hole! How much does a standard gearbox hold? £24 per 946ml is expensive enough!
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Gearbox capacity is 2.25 pints, so just under 1.3 litres.
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Pete Bags wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:28 pm Gearbox capacity is 2.25 pints, so just under 1.3 litres.
Two bottles of MT90 should do it then? Think I’ll go down that route, hoping it should last longer than changing an older oil more regularly.
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

I ended up going with 20w50 classic from Halfords. Usually £32 for 5 litres but I had a £10 voucher signing up to Halfords motor club so I got it for £22 which is pretty good value. Yes the MT90 would be a superior oil but I plan on changing mine regularly anyway.