Ignition fault/Voltage regulator

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
redleader100
MMOC Member: No

Ignition fault/Voltage regulator

Post by redleader100 »

Can anybody offer advice on following please. Just changed the voltage regulator on a 69 Minor saloon. Was wired up the same way as the old one but now there is a fault in that the ignition light stays on when you turn it off anmd my mechanic friend is sratching head as to the reason. I'm having to disconnect the battery every time I park it up now and when I first reconnect it the ignition light is off. It's onlty when I turn the ignition on and off again the fault reappears. I'm wondering whether the fault is in the ignition switch itself. The key is very worn and and you can take it out when the ignition is turned on. Any thoughts please. Thanks. Ray
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ignition fault/Voltage regulator

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Is it a new voltage regulator or a secondhand one? The new reproductions aren’t as reliable. With the battery disconnected I would examine the regulator cut out contacts, there should be a gap with the engine off. And wipe them with a clean rag. You are wise to keep the battery isolated whilst the fault exists.

Consider fitting a solid-state regulator which I can highly recommend.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Consider fitting a solid-state regulator which I can highly recommend.
JJ
Can you give an example (or examples) a make and model that you think would be suitable?

Don
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The symptoms suggest the cut-out contacts in the control box are sticking together and not releasing when the ignition is turned off - as 'JJ' is hinting.
It may be that cleaning them with some thinners may help, otherwise likely a fault in the new box. The modern repro's are a bit hit and miss and, in my experience, do not last anywhere near as long as the originals. I have never had one play up immediately after fitting though, although it is an entirely possible scenario....
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Email or call this gentleman. I fitted one over a year ago, use the car extensively, never had to think about it again. And it doesn’t need any alterations to the vehicle wiring, unlike the much-vaunted alternator conversion.

https://www.dynamoregulator.com/

You will have to gut an old control box and fit this in place of the two bobbins. I did this on a RB.310 unit and will eventually do the same with an RB.106 as fitted to the Morris Minor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS98fJ57yi4
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 am The symptoms suggest the cut-out contacts in the control box are sticking together and not releasing when the ignition is turned off - as 'JJ' is hinting.
It may be that cleaning them with some thinners may help, otherwise likely a fault in the new box. The modern repro's are a bit hit and miss and, in my experience, do not last anywhere near as long as the originals. I have never had one play up immediately after fitting though, although it is an entirely possible scenario....
Yes that is right, like many reproduction parts, one reason being there aren’t the economies of scale with production any more.
redleader100
MMOC Member: No

Post by redleader100 »

Thanks to everyone. I'll work through the ideas. Best. Ray
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My regulator packed up on my van last year and I got a new one and on the instructions make sure the connections are clean I cleaned them with a bit of emery paper.