Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Electrics

Post by Classiccars »

Took the car for a drive yesterday with no issues.Parked at the garage door and the engine cut out.Tirned the key to restart but no electrics or lights just totally dead.So fiddled with the battery wire which were tight then just pushed and fiddled with dizzy and other leads.Got back in and car started.So was wondering if there may have been a specific lead that could cause this.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Electrics

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, if 'no electrics or lights, just totally dead' it won't be due to the dizzy. Quite possibly a poor connection at the battery which, although you say connections were tight, may have been improved with your 'fiddling'. Maybe worth cleaning up the battery terminals and connectors and check the earth lead is securely attached to the car body.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

If totally dead it has to be the feed to the Ignition switch.

Before you turned to try and start, were there any light on the Speedo to show the Key had been turned to the 1st position?

From what you've described, it's unlikely to be the actual Battery Connections or Earth Lead, much more likely a far thinner cable at the fuse box.
Also not going to be anything to do with Engine High Voltage stuff, i.e. Coil/Dissy.
Clean up the connections at the Fuses as a first move.
Basil the 1955 series II

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks both my guess is the ignition wire as you advise.Look like cleaning and fettling needed thanks again.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Classiccars wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:53 pm Thanks both my guess is the ignition wire as you advise.Look like cleaning and fettling needed thanks again.
How can this be so? Lights are not controlled through the ignition key and have nothing to do with the dizzy.

Or did you not actually try the lights?
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

No just turned the key and no lights on dash
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

So how can you claim 'no electrics or lights just totally dead' if you never tried the lights?
As 'oliver90owner' points out, the lights work independently of the ignition switch. Had you actually tried the lights and had they worked then you could have ruled out the battery connections.
catswhisker
Minor Friendly

Post by catswhisker »

I suspect the op was referring to the warning lights- not the side/headlights when he said
' no electrics or lights '. My money would be on poor battery connection.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

No need to 'suspect' that - the OP has already confirmed he did not try the side/tail/headlights!
What this thread does show is the need for clear, comprehensive and accurate descriptions of the issue so that those trying to help have as much information before suggesting possible solutions.........