Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
radioactiveman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Droopy door

Post by radioactiveman »

Hello,

I have a droopy passenger door. It requires a characterful slam to make it shut... however if one lifts it it closes without any resistance. I assume the lift is correcting the droop so it’s mating with the striker nicely.

I’ve searched about the forum for a definitive answer but I’m not sure if I want a new hinge, a new pin or a new shim? Is there a common cause for this sort of issue?

Many thanks!
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Droopy door

Post by mogbob »

A definitive answer..... brace yourself... like so many things in life ... No.
The Forum will need some more info from you before the causes can be defined and possible " cures " suggested.
First off, how much droop 1/2 cm or nearer 5cm .Is the body work around the A post area sound.
Are the bolts tights. If you " take the weight " of the door when opening , raising and lowering the door , can you see the hinge pin
moving ,if yes by how much 1/2mm. Are both hinges , top and bottom , slack with a hinge pin that moves or just the one.

My mate's Morris that we restored had a drivers door that dropped 6 cm when open but that was because of terminal rust at the base
of the door post. The fixing plate within the A post ( a closed metal box ) with no physical access , to which the retaining bolts fix.. is free floating.
It should " sit " on a metal ledge. The ledge , in a lot of cases rusts away and will allow the plate to " drop" as you remove the final bolt.
Disaster. If you are replacing the hinge / hinges the trick is to "hook " the plate with a bit of stiff bent wire, before you undo the final bolt. Take
away the old hinge and replace.Just start one bolt into the new hinge and remove the safety wire before tightening all the bolts back up again.

The usual Suppliers have new hinge pins ( and ones that are oversized if the wear is heavy. Drilling the hinge itself a large size would be necessary. )
Most people can't be bothered and go straight for a new hinge.
Time for a bit more investigation. Hope this helps.
Bob
radioactiveman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Droopy door

Post by radioactiveman »

mogbob wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:18 am A definitive answer..... brace yourself... like so many things in life ... No.
Ain't that the truth!

I'll have an investigation and report back :tu1: :D