Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil Leaks, or healthy throughput?

Post by PhilipW1039 »

As a new traveller owner I like to "fix" everything, yet I've read in one post "that's not an oil leak. It's a healthy throughput of oil"! Opinions please, as I'm concluding that a large pan under the engine is all I need to stop the drive from being blackened yet further.

I have the following leaks (the car, not me):

1. Rear crank
2. New Accuspark electronic distributor
3. Timing chain cover

3 I can fix and is on the list. 2 I thought I'd fixed when I refitted the dizzy O ring, but I haven't. As for 1, I'm not doing that job so that means a garage bill to take the gearbox out and fit a rear crank oil seal kit. So, do you all just accept that a little leak here and there is the norm?
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Oil Leaks, or healthy throughput?

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the world of Morris Minors.
There is no lip seal at the rear of the crankshaft just a return scroll. If you have a leak it is a good indicator that the crankshaft bearings are worn which to replace means not jut removing the engine but dismantling the engine. A lip seal kit will not cure worn bearings and the kit is not always successful unless extreme care is taken with the fitting.
Make sure that the timing chain cover is of the lip seal type and not the felt ring type.
If you have oil coming up past the distributer body then you have excess crankcase pressure. Make sure that the engine is able to breath in that the vent pipes or other means of venting are clear and working.
Crankcase pressure could cause all three problems. A well vented 'A' Series crankcase is a must.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As Phil says, good breathing/venting is essential. Over the years, many engines get modified, so if you post a picture of your engine showing the rocker cover, oil filler cap, tappet case side cover with went, carb, air filter and all associated hoses then we can advise whether they are correct.

As regards the rear seal, I will be even former than Phil and say that the kits offering "improved seal" are a complete waste of time and money, and unless you machine the flange on the end of the crankshaft, they cannot work. Search for other posts on this subject, and you will see that whilst opinions do vary, the majority agree with my view. a good crank, good bearings and good breathing are the way to minimise any leaks.
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Interesting, thanks gents. I've included a picture below but also read a reply from Phil from 2015, that says breathing to the open air is sufficient, but also that BMC vented to the inlet manifold on later engines. My inlet vacuum goes to a brake servo and the only vent on the carb is to the dizzy. Sorry, I'll let you discern for yourselves....
08EC81A6-2DAD-4867-B608-685C4124B440.jpeg
08EC81A6-2DAD-4867-B608-685C4124B440.jpeg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 558 times
Philip

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

I do also appear to have a leak from one of the covers, though I'd really like to avoid taking off the exhaust manifold again if I can possibly avoid it. Last time it broke the seal to the downpipe and it took me three goes to reseal. Still, if needs must.
Philip

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Breathing to the open air is sufficient in that it gets rid of crankcase pressure. But it is better if you have a sealed breathing system in which the fumes are sent back to the combustion chamber and consumed.
Your rocker cover is non original and does not have a vent. The rocker cover should have a vent with hose to at least the air cleaner.
Your engine appears to be a 1098cc item but looks to be fitted with 948cc cam follower chest covers. The 1098cc covers are stronger and have a different seal which is more efficient in sealing the cover.
Some 1098cc engines have a front cam follower chest cover fitted with a oil separator canister which is either connected to the air cleaner. PCV valve on the manifold or carb.
Lowering the pressure inside the crankcase is the secret to alleviating oil leaks.
As regards the rear seal kit - people have to make up their own minds whether the kit is right for them but I would not have a kit fitted unless it was a MED rear seal kit which is properly engineered. See MED you tube video for details.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Is that a crack in the cylinder head between the exhaust manifold studs?
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Myrtles Man wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:21 am Is that a crack in the cylinder head between the exhaust manifold studs?
Oh Myrtles, you had be in a panic there!! Yes, it does look like it in the picture but I just went to check and no, it's just part of the casing. Don't do that to me - I'm already slowly losing my hair! :D
Philip

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Thank you Phil for all that input. How do you know this stuff? I'd love to meet some of you chaps on here because you just know SO much. Either that or you're 150 and have just been around "that" long :)

I take your point about crankcase pressure, and would never have thought of that. I'll embark on replacing the covers with the correct items and while I'm there, I'll order a rocker cover with breather pipe, which I'll look to connect to the spare pipe on the air filter housing. Thank you.
Philip

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Oh, and re the rear crank oil seal - I agree with the both of you and had surmised as such from reading other posts, but again was trying to solve a problem. I get the point about just creating a more healthy engine in the first place, which may then resolve the issues anyway.
Philip

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

How do I know all this stuff?.....I served my time in a BMC garage when Morris Minors where the bread and butter cars. I have been building and modifying 'A' Series engines in various states of tune for over 55 years. Whilst I am not 150 years old I am 75 years old and don't I feel it at times. :tu1:
That is me driving my Minor at Prescott Speed Hill Climb way back in the signature picture below :D

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

philthehill wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:53 am How do I know all this stuff?.....I served my time in a BMC garage when Morris Minors where the bread and butter cars. I have been building and modifying 'A' Series engines in various states of tune for over 55 years. Whilst I am not 150 years old I am 75 years old and don't I feel it at times. :tu1:
That is me driving my Minor at Prescott Speed Hill Climb way back in the signature picture below :D
Sorry Phil, I didn't mean to remind you of that! I'm 45 and this is my first MM, so I've got a long way to go. Really, very interesting though - you chaps do amaze me. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Looking forward to the day when I can just enjoy a drive...
Philip

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

I didn't think the words "Morris Minor" and "Speed Hill" actually went together!!
Philip

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It would not normally but when the Minor is modified as mine is it is surprising how easily you can scare yourself. 8)

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Thanks for your help today Phil. Going to try my local club for a rocker cover though; can't find anything on the main parts sites, nor eBay, not with a breather pipe.

Incidentally, at cold idle I'm running 60-70 psi, cold at 50 is around 80. Once properly warm, anywhere between 40-60 psi, depending on gear and speed of course. Previous owner fitted a gauge 🙂
Philip

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You can use your existing rocker alloy cover. Just drill and tap the rocker cover just in front and to the right (looking from the front) of the oil filler cap. This is similar the the factory breather exit on the tin rocker cover.
You may have to grind away a portion of the cooling fins to get a good seat or you could build up between the fins with plastic metal to achieve the same result. Fit a vac take off adapter to the new hole in the rocker cover and jobs done. The threaded portion of the adapter may have to be shortened to clear the rockers but trial and error fitting will give the results required
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275288479874 ... SwIV9iQEid
The tapping thread should be 5/8" UNF.
Here is an alternative take off adapter:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293568853855 ... SwnCFaEFWx
My own alloy rocker cover has a similar arrangement.

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

I admire your confidence in me Phil, but that might be a bit beyond me, plus the tools I would need to buy would outweigh the benefit. But thanks for the idea.

I've found a used cover on eBay that needs refurbishing and will then also look original. I'm just thinking that it might be better to also fit this instead of using the spare air filter inlet:

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/brake ... rs-p829337

Would the vacuum be too much though with that size pipe, and would I need a non-return valve to avoid the fumes going back again?
Philip

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You never know what you can do until you try. 8) We all have to start somewhere. :wink:
The vacuum adapter in your link above is totally the wrong item for your crankcase vent problem.
The adapter is suitable for when you have a non vented pipe connected to the servo but having a through flow of air will upset your carb mixture to the point that the engine may not run.
You just need the rocker cover with the vent pipe connected to the air cleaner. Your air cleaner already has the stub for the pipe from the rocker cover to fit onto.

PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

I understand, thanks Phil. The carb is responsible for getting the fuel/air mixture right so adding either after that point will mess things up.

Okay, thank you. I shall go with the original rocker cover and refurb it. It's apparently from a Mini but has a "Morris" and patents plate on it, so cleaning the rust off and re-painting it the apt green will look spot on.

Thanks again for your time. Don't ever tell me where you live 'cos I'll be popping round to ask you what all of the noises are that I'm still working out!!
Philip