Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fitting a Brake Reservoir and or Disk Brakes

Post by Bubblemechanic »

Hi Guy's and Gals I would like to know how easy is it to Fit a Brake fluid Reservoir and does it really help also the transition from front drums to Disks and how much work involved.
I am having a few issues with the braking system I wanted to stay old school and keep as original as possible. I have replaced every pipe and hose, New Cylinders all round, New Shoes all round, New ESM Master Cylinder but the brakes seem absolutely flat when pressing pedal
Cheers Paul (Bubblemechanic)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Fitting a Brake Reservoir and or Disk Brakes

Post by philthehill »

I have Marina discs on my Minor without the remote reservoir and it all works perfectly. So the remote reservoir is not an absolute necessity. All the remote reservoir does is allow you to see the fluid level if a plastic reservoir is fitted and reduce the frequency of checking the fluid level if the original master cylinder/reservoir is retained.
Fitting the remote reservoir is an relatively easy job but make sure that you have the correct fluid hose otherwise the pipe will sweat and loose fluid. Declan Burns remote reservoir kit is superb and if you do decide to fit a remote reservoir I would fit one of his kits in preference to any other. He can be contacted by PM. Use the search facility to get details of his kits.
Good luck.
Phil

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

What make of shoes have you got? Some of the cheaper brake shoes give a very poor response. If you have covered little mileage since fitting them and you did the front and rear at the same time, you might find the shoes require bedding in a bit whatever make you used? I have fitted Mintex shoes to my Minor now and once bedded in I have found the original drum brakes to be perfectly adequate.
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly

Post by Bubblemechanic »

I have got Mintex shoes all round and since fitting them the car is in the garage I only took Gloria out to go round the estate and thats when I found brakes not working very well.
I have been working on them for the last few day's first of all I found that the half shaft seal had failed and leaked some oil into the passenger side brake drum and soaked the bottom shoe.
I sorted that out but had to buy a set of new shoes which I got from ESM I am in the process of going round the whole system again Bleeding the brakes.
(Not that easy these day's with Knackered Knees and a replacement) Scrabbling round under car
Anyway Thank you so far for your advice and will keep you posted as to the outcome hoping to take Gloria out later today?
Cheers Paul
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

In good condition and properly adjusted, standard drums can easily lock all four wheels, so that's the maximum braking effort you can achieve. Drums can suffer from fade with repeated heavy braking, and discs can help overcome that, and also need less maintenance. A servo will reduce the effort that you have to apply to the pedal.

A remote reservoir makes life much easier, and I also recommend Declan's kit. It's easier to spot if the fluid level is going down.

I have one Minor with standard brakes and two with Marina discs and a servo. They all have remote reservoirs and silicone fluid. The disc fitted cars do more heavy towing than the standard. If you are reasonably competent with standard brakes, then fitting any of the alternative components is a relatively easy job.
Bubblemechanic
Minor Friendly

Post by Bubblemechanic »

Thank you very much for your information
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

New shoes all around will take a few miles to bed in. I would keep going with the work you have done and rrive it for a couple of hundred miles 1st. Initial use of new shoes can be very poor as only a limited shoe area touches the drum.