Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Wearytraveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Good quality fuel hose

Post by Wearytraveller »

Hi all, first post here and a recommendation to keep our beloved cars safe!

Please, please, everybody check the flexible rubber petrol hose from fuel pump to carb.

Inspect visually for cracks, these often occur invisibly on the inside of bends, so flex the hose gently by hand and make sure no cracks open up as you do so. Even better, remove the hose completely for a thorough inspection.

For about four years running, I replaced fuel hose on cars and motorcycle anually, and checked them monthly, due to the awful quality of what was available developing splits and cracks. I then discovered Gates 'Barricade' hose which has done three years and shows no sign of deterioration.

I have found Gates 'Barricade' hose to be excellent quality. Gates are an OEM manufacturer in the States with a good reputation. The hose is composed of several layers and is genuinely ethanol proof. The hose is more expensive than potentially lethal unbranded rubbish, but worth every penny in my view. Available from Moss, and doubtless elsewhere too.
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/fuel-hose ... 1025x.html

The common recommendation is for 'R9' grade hose which is ethanol resistant- I have tried this from several suppliers and in no case has it lasted more than a year. In one instance, the 'R9' lettering on the hose rubbed during fitting- fake alert!

Hoses covered in stainless braiding are also a danger, many of these look smart but are of awful quality, and you can't see or inspect the degredation of the rubber.

I have seen several burnt out classics at the roadside over the last few years, and although there are other causes, I would expect fuel hose to often be the cause.

Another recommendation, if you don't mind a slight deviation from originality, is to hunt down Swedish-made 'ABA' brand stainless steel hose clamps, these grip the hose all the way round in a manner more uniform than cheap worm drive clamps, and have edges designed so they do not cut into the hose. Size tham correctly for the hose you buy, and fit them right up flush to the end of the hose they are clamping. They will last forever.

No connection with Gates etc, just satisfied, and where I can spend more money on something better, I will!

Kind regards, Chris.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Good quality fuel hose

Post by les »

Well it’s food for thought maybe and agree about quality, with that in mind I can thoroughly recommend the fuel pipe fitted to my vehicle as it’s been there for twenty years or so, as I can’t recall replacing it during that time. Trouble is Its a hollow recommendation because I can’t remember who made it !

Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Good quality fuel hose

Post by Classiccars »

Useful information thank you.Hope people take the advise as it may save a lot of pain.