Running rich but stuttering (and stinks!)

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Running rich but stuttering (and stinks!)

Post by philthehill »

A photo of your heater tap/arrangement would be helpful as there should be no requirement to remove the heater tap to remove the rocker cover.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

PhilipW1039 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:42 pm I didn't do or know any of that so thank you; duly noted. I might do all that when I drain the system to replace the timing chain cover seal, as I have the stupid heater which has to be taken off before the rocker cover will come off. Might replace that with the tap style at the same time.

Thanks again for the input.
If you intend doing maintenance on a vehicle (or anything, for that matter) - particularly if there is a safety issue if mal-functioning - it would be good to read (and follow) the manual.

The Haines books are very good on this and, of course, the workshop manual is available for the really fine intricacies of the workings.

As as often been said in the past - if all else fails RTFM!🙂
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Morning chaps, I've just realised that I didn't acknowledge your replies; my apologies.

Thank you both and yes, I have the Haines so I'll re-read that section, though all is well since setting the clearances. I'll check again once I've replaced the heater valve with the one linked to by simmitc. Sorry if I missed something stupid; I did read it through but clearly missed something!

On the point of the heater valve, before I even touched it I struggled to get the rocker cover off. Only with a bit of wiggling did it shift. Then, when refitting, I couldn't get the extra metal plate to seal well so I removed it in favour of a decent seal between the tap, gasket and head. That means it's literally against the rocker cover now, but even before it was difficult. I think simmitc must be right and I have one of the cheap pattern ones.
Philip

Just gradually working things out...