Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cyrus
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

rear side window fitting 2 door saloon

Post by cyrus »

Hi and a happy Easter to all. I have a late 2 door saloon and have ordered some new rubbers for the rear side windows, the old ones are badly perished although have been sealed up with something and although they look terrible they don't leak.
I am looking for some advice on the fitting sequence, also whether to use sealant or not, and lubricant or not. I was planning to use a length of paracord to fit it with some wooden toggles on the end for grip. I will cut the old rubbers out carefully with a stanley knife I guess. I do have 1 little metal clip each side in the middle of the b post section, was wondering if really necessary as some previous cars I had didn't have these fitted. Is it a good idea to fit the rear pointy bit first as this seems the trickiest and would a professional glass fitter do a job like this single handed?
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: rear side window fitting 2 door saloon

Post by kevin s »

I fitted ours much as you describe (seal on glass and pulled over the body lip from inside)with a mist spray of water, popped in easily enough. Didn't use any sealer and it doesn't seem to leak.
cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

Thanks I did order a tube of sealant in the end just in case it was needed, will be doing the job in the next few days. Also got a glass handle as they are so cheap and makes it a doddle to move the glass around
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Tinasminor »

Probably a silly question but what is a glass handle and what does it do?
Steve,
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi
what is a glass handle and what does it do?
I think it will be a handle with a couple of suction cups fixed to it so that it can be attached to a sheet of glass. Then it is easy to manoeuver the glass into position.

Don
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »