Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

bonnet latch

Post by nutmegct »

Since my '57 Traveller arrived back in December, I've found the bonnet difficult to close. This may explain:

Note how the sliding lock hole is so far to the right. When the bonnet is closed, the spring-held pin on the bonnet enters the top two holes, but can't easily go down into that lock hole - unless someone is pulling the bonnet release handle under the dash. The fixture on the cross beam can be adjusted front/back, but not left/right.

Is there a way to adjust that sliding lock to be better aligned with the holes in the bracket? I'm afraid I'm bending the sliding lock, with all the force I need to close the bonnet firmly.

The bonnet pops open easily when the interior release handle is pulled.

Thanks.
Tom M.
Attachments
bonnet latch.JPG
bonnet latch.JPG (518.94 KiB) Viewed 299 times
anthony2
Minor Friendly

Re: bonnet latch

Post by anthony2 »

Is this a recent photo of your lock?Looks pretty dry If so ,after studying the exploded parts in the Moss parts manual,maybe you should dismantle the whole mechanism and clean and oil it. There is a sliding plate.Perhaps this why it locks with the assistant pulling the handle. The pin assembly is adjustableTry oil first if your'e not confident in pulling it apart.
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Thanks Anthony. I agree on the oil/grease need.

The bonnet pin goes right down into the top and middle holes. But the pin doesn't get near the lowest hole (the sliding plate), as the plate is so far to the right. You can just barely see that lowest hole (in the sliding plate) off to the right.

How does it look on your setup?
Tom M.
anthony2
Minor Friendly

Post by anthony2 »

The sliding plates have elongated holes ,perhaps they are clogged up with hard grease.I would pull it apart.I have just looked at the Moss cat ,there are spacers under the slider,maybe worn.
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

I don't have a Moss MM catalogue. Matter of fact, I don't see one even listed on the Moss Motors website, print or web format.

Is there an online version available somewhere?

Anyway, as that sliding plate is too far to the right, and it's moved left/right by the pull handle and springs, I don't see how I could ever re-center it under the two holes above it.

On yours, is the lowest hole (the one in the sliding plate) so far to the right like mine? Seems it would be impossible for the bonnet pin to go through that hole.

Thanks.
Tom M.
Edit: I found the online catalogue on the Moss UK website. I think my bonnet bracket latch is assembly incorrectly - the sliding plate should be between the top bracket and the bottom bracket; mine is below the bottom bracket. It appears that the two fixture bolts should go through the elongated slots in the sliding plate; as my sliding plate is *below* both bracket parts, the bolts can't go through it - and thus the sliding plate can't be held in proper place by the bolts.
Live and learn!
anthony2
Minor Friendly

Post by anthony2 »

Glad you have solved the problem,I thought the slots were for adjustment ,but the the sliding part ,the whole thing moves as one.with the springs either end.