Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Washer Bottle Problem

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Hi All
A few months ago I put a post on here about a problem I was having with my washer bottle.
I took it to a local garage eventually for other work and they fitted a new manual pump and all was well.
Now however the same problem has happened again.Basically no water on the screen.
I bought a new manual pump and am very pleased with myself for removing the glove box and replacing the said pump.
The problem is it still doesn’t work.I’ve tested the pump in some water and it is working but when it’s on the car nothing.
I have a standard set up and on the end of the pipe in the bottle is a one way valve which I fitted with help from this board 😆
Can anyone help as to what I do now.
Many thanks
Steve
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Washer Bottle Problem

Post by ManyMinors »

Is the valve at the end of the pipe in the bottle actually working? I found that I needed to fit an extra in-line one way valve into the pipework behind the dashboard because the water was draining back to the bottle. Also, I'm not sure that the new push pumps are all that reliable :cry:
It is such a simple system. It ought to work very reliably!!!
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

I think there is already another in line valve near the pump as you describe.
I’m wondering about the pump although I took it out and put it in some water and it shot a jet of water across the road.Could it be the pipe work .It looks very old possibly original.
O well I’ll keep fiddling till I sort it.
As you say it’s quite a simple system so should be reliable.!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It could possibly be an air leak in a pipe joint?
It could also be that the jets are blocked with dirt?
What happens when you undo the various joints in the pipework and try the pump/plunger?
It must be possible somehow to eliminate certain parts and work out where the fault lies.
One of my cars had developed a dirty film inside the pipes and this was starting to come off and block the jets. I replaced all the pipework eventually and that cured it.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Just had a similar problem but with electric version. Turned out the one way valve fitted on the pick up pipe in the bottle (fitted when I bought the car) is not made for suction side. The valve need to be on the pressure side of the pump.The valve will not open on suction, it needs the water pressure to open it and keeps the pipes full upto the jets.
If you remove the valve does the screen wash work?
Regards Bill
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Hi thanks for the suggestions.
I’m sure the jets aren’t blocked .I’m fairly sure that the one way valve in the bottle is good.
I think I need to try replacing the pipe work. It looks very old and knackered really.
I’ll let you know how I get on
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Kinked/trapped pipe behind the dash?

John ;-)
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

more than likely that the jets are clogged,just get a small needle and insert the tip into the jet to check its clear
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I encountered a similar problem recently, with a full new manual pump set up. I found the brand new inline one-way valve was defective. Water couldn’t pass it in either direction! I removed it and fitted a new one for a (proper) Land Rover Defender - problem solved.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

So I finally got around to sorting out this problem.
My son and I disconnected everything and took system out of the car we then reconnected everything and found the problem.
There is a non return valve In the bottle but there is another one I think it’s called an in line valve and that was the one causing the problem.I had bought a new one and when we fitted it hey presto it works.
Yippee.
Steve