Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Boxofbits
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Tie Plate Extension Hole Size

Post by Boxofbits »

Hi everyone

Can anyone confirm if the hole size changed on the tie plate extension panel ( where the exhaust front pipe goes through) ? Some say it was never changed, but others are saying they made the opening deeper on later bodyshells? If they did, anyone know by how much and when changed please ?

Many thanks
Kevin
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Tie Plate Extension Hole Size

Post by philthehill »

The size and shape of the tie plate hole did change.
This is the later tie plate:
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... -h-p899142

This is the earlier tie plate:
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... k-p1239105
The earlier plate is the same as shown in BMC parts list AKD559.
The parts list shows the tie plate and chassis leg top plate as one item under Pt Nos: AAA4803 & Pt No: AAA4804.
Unfortunately I do not know the change date or the size of the original hole but the size of the holes in the tie plates can be compared to give some idea of the change.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I'm not sure what age car you are wanting the information for? I can only speak for the Minor 1000, but I have measured this hole on both my 1958 and 1970 cars and the hole the exhaust runs through is exactly the same on both.
I think the confusion in the links Phil has shown is because one panel is a copy of the original - and goes up behind the crossmember, and the other is a smaller repair panel which does not.
The main difference between my 2 cars is that the exhaust pipes go through this hole in very different places which is a reflection of how badly exhaust manufactures have copied copies of copies over the years and is probably why so many exhaust pipes don't fit very well nowadays!
There is no mention of an "early" or "late" version in any of the parts books that I can find and, although I've never had any reason to check, I have never noticed any difference in this area on different cars.
Boxofbits
Minor Friendly

Post by Boxofbits »

Thanks for the answers and interesting to note different points of view. Somebody else said the later ones were deeper, however as mentioned there is no trace of an official change in the parts books.

Also, a guy who restores mostly LCV’s for a living the other day checked both a ‘50’s van and a late 60’s van, and said both were the same. Having said that, looking at the two illustrations provided by Phil, they do at least look different. Maybe different panel presses over the years, including Henric and perhaps even the various presses of Pressed Steel and of BMC/BL differed slightly I wonder?

Kevin