Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Researchingreg
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Wheel hub caps

Post by Researchingreg »

I don't whether this comes under bodywork, but, yesterday I was driving, when my drivers side front wheel hub cap came off and was promptly run over by cars coming in the opposite direction. I retrieved the hub cap and it was bent. I have straitened it out as best I can and have replaced it on the wheel. See photo. Is there a way of securing hub caps so they don't accidently come off but can easily be removed for wheel changing. On modern cars I have secured wheel trims by using tightening plastic straps that can be cut off when changing the wheel. I can't do this on the Morris. Any suggestions?
Attachments
Battered hub cap
Battered hub cap
20220401_163537.jpg (963.06 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wheel hub caps

Post by Chipper »

Perhaps a bonding agent such as Tigerseal - it's very strong stuff, so just use a small dab at the fixing points.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Researchingreg
Minor Friendly

Post by Researchingreg »

That is a good idea. If I did that could I get the hub cap off easily when changing the wheel?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

One of my Minors had those decorative outer trims fitted and I regularly lost hubcaps. In the end I took the outer trims off and binned them. They can stop the hubcaps fitted properly onto the wheel lugs I think - but if you must have them, just make sure that the hubcap is firmly pushed on and located as much as possible.
Researchingreg
Minor Friendly

Post by Researchingreg »

Thanks for the info about the decorative trim, I do want to keep them so perhaps I will use the tigerseal idea.
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

Often the hubcaps are not truly concentric, before pressing on, rotate it to give you the tightest position.
Regards Win
South Yorkshire
Researchingreg
Minor Friendly

Post by Researchingreg »

Thank you for the info I will try all 4 caps and possibly use the tiger seal idea
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Tigerseal is a strong and very effective adhesive. I certainly wouldn't recommend its use for this purpose. I have no doubt that it'll make an excellent job of sticking your hubcaps on and I know that it was suggested to only use small quantities but even so :oops: ........