Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brake fades heart sinks!

Post by les »

Using silicone fluid is a good way to avoid cylinder seizure.

serowman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by serowman »

BRAKE FADE IS USUALLY CAUSED BY HEAT,AND DRUMS EXPANDING MEANING THE PEDAL GOES FARTHER DOWN WHEN DEPRESSED
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

DON'T SHOUT!
It's not usually that at all.
If the drum has got hot enough to expand as far as you are suggesting, i.e. to increase the inner diameter enough to affect the operation of the brakes, then it's already too late, the brakes will hot enough to be useless.
You can have Mechanical fade, Fluid fade or Friction fade

Mechanical fade is just general wear of components from their optimum installation.
Fluid fade is old brake fluid not doing it's job because of contamination, so it's 'boiling' and not working as an effective hydraulic fluid.
Finally, if the brake pads exceed their designed operating temperature, gases can be released from the friction material that affect the contact area.

Let's not forget that a very common cause of brake fade is incorrect braking technique.
People just aren't taught it these days. Too many Instructors only know Disc Brakes.
Far too many drivers ride the brakes, you see brake lights on far longer than necessary while the vehicle speed is barely changing.
Don't ride the brakes down a hill, use low gear to take advantage of engine braking and apply brakes in a cyclic fashion.
That way they get a chance to cool between pedal presses.

Continuous application of the brakes will just compound the problem.
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The amount of drivers I see these days 'riding the brakes' is truly astonishing, although it is not a new thing.....
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

myoldjalopy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:21 am The amount of drivers I see these days 'riding the brakes' is truly astonishing, although it is not a new thing.....
I agree and I seem to often follow cars which have their brake lights showing many times on a journey when I haven't needed to apply the brakes at all. I suspect this is partly because an increasing number of cars on the roads are automatics which don't have the engine braking that a manual car will when in the correct gear.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

I believe it's known as 'comfort braking' - ie continuously reassuring the driver that the brakes will actually work when required to do so.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:31 am
myoldjalopy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:21 am The amount of drivers I see these days 'riding the brakes' is truly astonishing, although it is not a new thing.....
I agree and I seem to often follow cars which have their brake lights showing many times on a journey when I haven't needed to apply the brakes at all. I suspect this is partly because an increasing number of cars on the roads are automatics which don't have the engine braking that a manual car will when in the correct gear.
But even with an automatic it's not compulsory to have your foot on one pedal or the other. It won't suddenly accelerate away from you if you brake to the right speed and then rest your foot a while, just ready to accelerate or brake as required.

Also, engine braking on Hills is still achieved by putting an Automatic into Low Gear.
Last edited by geoberni on Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Myrtles Man wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:33 am I believe it's known as 'comfort braking' - ie continuously reassuring the driver that the brakes will actually work when required to do so.
Otherwise known as the lazy foot rest.....
It's probably why some cars, like certain BMW models, require the discs to be replace every brake pad change......
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A lot of drivers keep their foot on the brake, even when stopped !! Not sure what the thinking is behind that, maybe no thinking ! :-?

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

geoberni wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:37 am
Myrtles Man wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:33 am I believe it's known as 'comfort braking' - ie continuously reassuring the driver that the brakes will actually work when required to do so.
Otherwise known as the lazy foot rest.....
It's probably why some cars, like certain BMW models, require the discs to be replace every brake pad change......
To be fair, that's not necessarily related to brake use, but has definitely been affected the fact that there is no longer asbestos in brake pads, and the friction material seems to be far harder these days. I replaced the discs and pads on one of our modern cars, a Ford Galaxy, 60,000 miles ago. Neither my wife or I are heavy brakers, and as a result, the discs and pads are still just about OK. I don't think that's too bad on a car that weights 1.8 tonnes before it's got the family in it! The pads will need replacing in the next 10,000 miles or so, but the discs will also need replacing as they are also well worn - they seem t wear at a similar rate. I don't remember ever changing discs on cars I had years ago though - it was only ever the pads!

Still - all this is rather off topic. Looking forward to hearing whether SurferGirl managed to stop at the bottom of that big hill when she went surfing after replacing the wheel cylinder!
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

les wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:27 pm A lot of drivers keep their foot on the brake, even when stopped !! Not sure what the thinking is behind that, maybe no thinking ! :-?
Too damned lazy to use the Handbrake!! 😠

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

geoberni wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:37 am [quote="Myrtles Man" post_id=678277 time=<a href="tel:1649154813">1649154813</a> user_id=46267]
I believe it's known as 'comfort braking' - ie continuously reassuring the driver that the brakes will actually work when required to do so.
While a lot of drivers are dippy and follow too closely, a lot don’t realise that the vehicles which automatically maintain their distance from the vehicle in front will automatically illuminate the brake lights whenever brakes are needed to maintain the set following distance, without the driver touching the brake pedal - they likely often still have their foot on the loud pedal!

[/quote]
Boomlander wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:16 pm
les wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:27 pm A lot of drivers keep their foot on the brake, even when stopped !! Not sure what the thinking is behind that, maybe no thinking ! :-?
Too damned lazy to use the Handbrake!! 😠
Also too damned lazy to select neutral when stationary. Dimwits don’t understand that automatic gearboxes automatically change gear, but do not select neutral. Dimwits don’t realise that brake lights are to let the driver behind they are slowing, not to dazzle the driver behind for minutes on end!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I think you’re both right with those thoughts !

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Just two of the many bl##dy infuriating habits of the motoring knuckle scrapers in our local area.
Add to that Tailgating, Speeding, Hurling litter or burning cigarette ends from the windows, Failing to use the indicators and having as much idea of negotiating a roundabout as self levitation!!
Tell me your location is different. 😠

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

We wish it was so