Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bruins
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicator stalk causes short circuit

Post by Bruins »

Hi All,

I have a 1967 Tourer that has been rebuilt from the ground up, complete with new wiring harness. An issue that I cannot resolve is that when the indicator assembly is fully connected there is sparking around the 'self cancelling' mechanism which looks to be a dead short momentarily occuring, eventually this blows the 35amp fuse. However when I disconnect the black earth tag (the vehicle is positive earth) that fits onto the screw securing the indicator stalk to the steering column there are no sparks but the indicator light at the end of the stalk does not work.

I believe that the stalk indicator light is acivated by one of the connectors on the flasher unit. FYI when the fuse blows all the flashers still work but the windscreen wipers and interior light do not.

I have read quite a few posts on the website and found them to be very helpful in my 3 year rebuild of the car, so thanks to all of you keen Moggie owners out there in advance!
Attachments
Lucy indicator stalk.jpg
Lucy indicator stalk.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 620 times
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Indicator stalk causes short circuit

Post by oliver90owner »

I would advise sorting it by use of a multimeter. - on resistance setting.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

oliver90owner wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:29 pm I would advise sorting it by use of a multimeter. - on resistance setting.
I wouldn't , poking around live wires with the meter set on resistance could be problematical...

John ;-)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I'd be checking the wiring connections first. I cannot understand how you say the fuse blows but the flashers still work :-? ??
Where are the flashers getting the current from?? The same fuse should cover the wipers, flashers, fuel gauge, heater motor...everything which is fed through the ignition switch. The interior light and horn are the only things fed via the other fuse and they are NOT few through the ignition switch. Do you have a good, correct model, wiring diagram?
It is the central (light green) wire from the flasher unit which powers the indicator warning light but this will only work if the stalk is earthed of course.
Also, the contact for the horn has broken off your indicator stalk :wink:
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Hi Manyminors, yes there's the rub! The vehicle electrician who installed hazard lights for me has I assume wired them up in an unconventional manner. Just seems like a simple issue to put right but I may need to get him back and explain what he has done!

Regarding horn, this is independant of the indicator stalk and works through a sprung wire which is located in the steering column; pushing the 'M' steering wheel hub pushes the wire onto the metal collar around the steering column. This works as it should.

Re: avo meter, using this has been inconclusive so far, but I will check connection between the flasher unit and the indicator stalk.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Bruins wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:37 pm

Regarding horn, this is independant of the indicator stalk and works through a sprung wire which is located in the steering column; pushing the 'M' steering wheel hub pushes the wire onto the metal collar around the steering column. This works as it should.
As I said before though, your indicator stalk is missing the horn contact pad. Somebody has simply bent the copper tag to which it should be attached, so that the copper tag itself is in contact with the brass ring on the column. That will do the job to an extent but the contact is still missing. In your picture you can see the hole where the contact should be fitted. That was the reason for my comment :wink:
See attached picture showing the correct contact.

I wouldn't say that the horn is independent of the indicator stalk. The horn will not operate without the indicator stalk being fitted because this contact is part of the stalk.
Attachments
Indicator stalk.JPG
Indicator stalk.JPG (106.82 KiB) Viewed 542 times
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Sleeper wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:08 pm
oliver90owner wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:29 pm I would advise sorting it by use of a multimeter. - on resistance setting.
I wouldn't , poking around live wires with the meter set on resistance could be problematical...

John ;-)
Only dim dmm operators do that, shirley?
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Don't call me Shirley !!!!!

John ;-)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

So as the owner of just one Minor, a 1955 Series II, I'm approaching this as a neutral observer, since Indicator stalks are a futuristic item as far as I'm concerned..... :o

So to establish a few facts.....
The OP tells us that the car is a 67 Tourer.
The car has an indicator Stalk that blows 'a' 35 Amp Fuse, but at that point
all the flashers still work but the windscreen wipers and interior light do not.
and that
the indicator light at the end of the stalk does not work
Also the OP tells us
However when I disconnect the black earth tag (the vehicle is positive earth) that fits onto the screw securing the indicator stalk to the steering column there are no sparks but the indicator light at the end of the stalk does not work.

From the images the Stalk appears to have a damaged/disabled Horn spring connection....

If I'm not mistaken, the car being a '67, the Horn should be on the centre of the Steering Wheel and I think the comment yesterday confirms that..

So why does the horn connect to the stalk?

I think some clear images of the wiring around the fuse box and the flasher unit might help identify how it's wired up...

You guys have certainly confused me.... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II