Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

How do you remove the rear arch liners?

Post by Chief »

Hi,
How do you remove the rear arch liners (the ones that sit on either side of the rear seat base) on a four door?

I couldn't see any screws, are they just glued onto the body work?

firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: How do you remove the rear arch liners?

Post by firedrake1942 »

Over the rounder inner arch the material some form of vynide is glued with a shaped vinyl cover panel as an edging. The latter has, from memory, 4 cross head screws in cups through the card / hard board covered vinyl and an aluminium former, designed to prevent friction wear.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-26 at 07.49.48.png
Screenshot 2022-03-26 at 07.49.48.png (294.09 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Screenshot 2022-03-26 at 07.50.18.png
Screenshot 2022-03-26 at 07.50.18.png (317.25 KiB) Viewed 510 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Like most things on Morris Minors, it depends on the year your car was built? Mr Firedrakes excellent pictures show the 2 main different types. His top picture showing the later design which is held in by clips similar to those used on the door cards which need to be prised off. The bottom picture shows the earlier type which are secured by screws. As he says, there is also glue used for the material stretched over the arch itself and probably a couple of additional screws as well. Whichever style you have it is pretty self-explanatory though.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Like many features, there was variation over the years. My SII has the setup in the second of the two pictures above, with a cloth fabric glued over the arch itself - often vinyl is used here but mine is definately a cloth material.......
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Thanks for the replies, the photo ws very helpful.

I didn't realise that the interior setup was different depending on the age for the four door rear arch panels, other than the 'aluminium former' which was chrome on later cars (such as mine).

I did wonder if they'd be the door card clips but I couldn't see them through the gap between the body and the liner and I didn't want to go pulling excessively at them in case they weren't :)