Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

oil pressure gauge adaptors

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi guys
Please help with this I am really struggling to find the correct adaptor for my oil pressure gauge I know what I need but as yet have drawn a blank with ESM CW and various firms found on Google.
I want to keep the oil pressure switch as well as attatch a oil pressure gauge I have the correct adaptor and (now) the correct nipples but due to my engine being from a Marina my TEE peice fouls the starter motor.
Therefore what I am trying g to locate is a 1/8 BSP female connector to go onto the TEE which would have a short length of 3mm oil pressure pipe which I can then connect to the 1/8NPT nipple in the block.
Thanks in advance 👍
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Re: oil pressure gauge adaptors

Post by Steve Phillips »

Have a look at

www.earls.co.uk
www.thinkauto.com
www.goodridge.com/uk

If you can't find what you need from them then I doubt you will ever find it.

Steve
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

If you use this type you can screw it in and position the nipple thread away from the starter and fit it 2nd
Screenshot_20220324-210458_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220324-210458_eBay.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Regards Bill
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Marina oil pressure switch is poorly located and if using the gauge/switch adapter there is barley enough room to fit the adapter, switch and gauge pipe.
You can mount the switch away from the block adapter using the type of adapter in the link below:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273774453659 ... Swx-9iKKjB
You can also mount the two way adapter for the switch and gauge feed pipe in the end of the adapter pipe so that all is remote from the starter.

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Thank you that looks to be another problem solved and you are right the location of the tapping is awful.
Hi Bill I do have that adapter but no matter what did I could not get clearance with it.
Cheers Steve it looks they have every possible variant there 👍
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have bought one of the remote oil pressure switch mounts as shown in my link above and I will see how it fits into my Marina block as regards clearance especially relating to the starter motor.
At the moment I have one of the adapters fitted as of the type shown in the photo above. The oil pressure gauge pipe is fitted into the end of the adapter and the oil pressure switch is fitted into the side of the adapter. The result is that there is very little room for the adapter/switch and pipe take off. Whether you can get the switch in the right place will depend upon the start of the thread in the block and the start of the male thread on the adapter. It took me a couple of adapters to get it right but it was still a problem to get even just enough clearance.

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi Phil
Thanks again for the help. When I did get the Tee peicenontp the block I was dubious as to it's tightness in relation to getting the centre tapping on a accessible position even with PTFE tape, the adapter you have sent the.lonk looks a much better way to go especia6ssbit can be fixed into place. This looks like next weekends job has now been lined up🤣
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Is there any reason, other than personal preference, to retain the oil warning light when you have fitted an oil pressure gauge?
I have always been given to understand that the warning light itself is next to useless, as by the time it illuminates it is already too late.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

jagnut66 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:07 am Hi,
Is there any reason, other than personal preference, to retain the oil warning light when you have fitted an oil pressure gauge?
I have always been given to understand that the warning light itself is next to useless, as by the time it illuminates it is already too late.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Plenty of reasons for both. If at 7psi, for the switching pressure, that is an extra approx 40% available pressure required to keep plain bearings apart. Whether the failure is catastrophic might depend on the operating conditions at the time.

The main advantage of a gauge is to see a steadily reducing pressure at operational engine speeds. One cannot be watching a pressure gauge all the time one is running the engine!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You can always fit a higher pressure oil pressure warning light. http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search
or alternatively http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... |Back%20to
Mine has a 28 psi switch fitted with a separate low oil pressure warning light.
If you want to go the whole hog you can fit a switch that is connected to the ignition circuit so that if the oil pressure falls below a predetermined pressure the ignition is switched off and the engine saved. Alternatively you could install a back up reserve cylinder that pumps oil round the engine if the oil pump circuit/pressure fails.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The remote oil pressure adapter arrived this morning.
The block fitting is correct, the oil pressure switch fits into the side of the adapter. What I have done is run a 1/8" BSP parallel tap down the end threads as the original threads were 1/8" BSP taper so as not to allow the oil pipe to the gauge adapter to fit.
Luckily I have various pipe adapters and the required BSP taps and dies to complete the job.
Next job is to remove the existing switch and adapter from the Marina block and fit the new remote adapter.

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi guys
Thanks for the feedback i like the idea if the higher level pressure switch which I will go for as that can be connected to the blocked filter warning light, as the pressure gauge will be useful but for quick warning I will be more likely to notice a glowing light on the dash though all being well it will never be needed
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Fitted the remote adapter today.
The original oil pressure gauge take off set up was more complicated that I remembered and comprised of two take off adapters connected together with a home made blanking plug sealing one of the adapter take offs. See photo below:
Gauge feed 1.JPG
Gauge feed 1.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 763 times
I used one of the original adapters fitted with the flexible take off pipe. The spare hole was blocked by with the blanking plug that came with the remote adapter. See photo below:
Gauge feed 2.JPG
Gauge feed 2.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 763 times
This is how tight everything is in the area of the oil pressure switch even after fitting the remote adapter. See photo below:
Gauge feed 3.JPG
Gauge feed 3.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 763 times
This is it is at the moment - the oil gauge feed pipe and the oil pressure switch are attached to the remote adapter block which has to be secured in place but as there are some more modifications to be carried out in the immediate area I do not want to be drilling and tapping holes unnecessarily. See photo below:
Gauge feed 4.JPG
Gauge feed 4.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 763 times
The adapter block can be secured in place with the 'P' clip supplied.
The oil gauge pipe and oil pressure switch wiring will be tided up in due course.

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi Phil

Thanks for that it realy does show jow tiggt it is.I love the adaption that you did with the original tapping. I take it that the new extension hose carried a earth through for the oil pressure switch?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As the hose is braided the earth should be carried through the braiding to the block. The joints are metal to metal.
If it does not carry the earth current as is I can always fit a double pole switch and put an earth lead in place.
Much easier now to do anything to the oil pressure switch/gauge feed pipe. I had to remove the distributer as there was no way I could get to the oil pressure switch/original adapters with it in place.

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Good point with the braiding and as I found a pain to do anything to it without removing the distributor.
Cheers for all your help Phil it is much appreciated 👍👍all being well mine will be completed next weekend
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Update - I have decided to fit a double pole high pressure oil switch to eliminate any possibility of a poor earth return.
This is the switch I have purchased & fitted:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181945912762

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hazaaaaaaa it all works I ended up with a Tee peice in the block as I was not happy with the bend on the hose,
With the hose installed and a double tee peice fitted up by the solenoid this had a 7Lb pressure switch connected to the existing oil pressure warning light and the 2nd switch set at 20lb which is connected to the old oil filter warning light. Last but not least the pressure gauge sits at 60Lb under load and 40lb idling.
Once again Thank you for all the help.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done :tu1:
The sharp curve of the hose to clear the starter motor was the reason I put a 'T' piece into the block and the hose into the 'T' piece.
Personally I would have connected the switches to the warning lights the other way around.
The 7lb switch to the blocked oil filter warning light.
The 20lb switch to the low oil pressure warning light.

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

That's a good point I will get them swapped over thankfully that is a easy task 🤣