Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag-gered
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Horn mounting location

Post by stag-gered »

Hi,

Please can someone advise where the horn on my 1969 saloon should be mounted. There is a post on here from 2010 with some lovely photos of two horns, each mounted on a bracket on the front panel either side of the radiator. My car doesn't have those brackets. On the LH side there are two holes in the front panel - are these for the horn?

Thanks for any assistance.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Horn mounting location

Post by geoberni »

My '56 SII Horn is mounted on the engine bay floor, passenger side....
I will caveat that with saying that the car is fitted with a 61-63 standard Wiring Loom and that is where the horn wiring exits the loom. But of course the loom might have been made especially for the car long before I brought it.

This old post from 2012 would indicate it should be on the Drivers side.....
viewtopic.php?p=444341
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

There are at least 3 different positions from different periods in production.
As Berni says, the MM and Series11 Minor had the horn bracket fixed to the floor of the engine bay. The first Minor 1000 had a single "windtone" horn mounted on a bracket on the RH side of the radiator panel with the option for a second horn on the other side as well. This was changed when the radiator panel was altered (late 1963ish) and the large air intake hose introduced. After that, a small Lucas horn was fitted with a bracket to the RH inner wing. If you want to fit the earlier arrangement, the air intake hose will get in the way and the wiring to the horn would have to be extended. The wires to the horn, one purple and the other purple and black, should be present in the wiring loom on the front RH inner wing.
Do you not have a horn fitted at present?
stag-gered
Minor Friendly

Post by stag-gered »

Thanks both. Berni's link to the old post shows the horn on the inner right hand wing, just in front of the washer bottle. My inner wing has two holes there that match the fixings on the horn bracket. I also have the purple/purple & black wires from the loom in that position.

Yes the car has a horn, but I removed it over twenty years ago and frankly cannot remember where from! I am refitting the engine and gearbox today and it occurred to me yesterday that perhaps the horn was mounted between the two front panels (as it is on another of my cars) and therefore would have to be fitted before the radiator. Looking at the two panels that clearly isn't the case, which made me wonder where does it go. However, you have answered my query.

Many thanks.