Easy dash cam

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Easy dash cam

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Can anyone recommend an easy to use dash cam please.

I would like to plug one in to the lighter socket, stick a little camera to the windscreen, and a little camera to the back window, press the 'on' button and go...
I don't mind wiring lying about.

Does such a system exist?

Thanks. John.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Re: Easy dash cam

Post by Myrtles Man »

Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Grumpy21 »

depends what you want Ito for.

Dash cam for recording in case of accident or dash cam to record journeys for movie making?

Similar principle but different solutions.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Dash cam for recording dangerous driving by other drivers.

I had two incidents last Saturday night that the police would have been interested in, if I had the recordings.
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Ok then, check out next base products. They work well and are very reliable. Depending on what you want them to do they start at around £50 rising to well over £300. Relatively easy to install and fuss free to use.

GPS and impact detection could be useful but expensive. In the event of an incident the dash cam will automatically store relevant footage including location and speeds. That may backfire though if you were above the limit of failing to follow the HC strictly.

I know of two ‘tales’ involving dash cam incidents. One chap used the footage to show a 30mph limit sign was obscured by an overgrown tree when previously driving in a 40 zone and was caught doing 36 (there are lost of random changing in speed limits near where I live). The other was hit by a car emerging from a side road who hadn’t seen him coming. GPS data showed my pal was doing 34 in a 30 zone, the insurance paid out but he also got a speeding course!
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks guys.
There is a lot of speed limit changing where I live too!

There are a lot of cheap dash cams on ebay, just one plug in unit with a forward facing camera, and rearward facing camera.

Has anyone got one? Are they any good?

Some of them are approx £10 brand new. Do you get what you pay for?

Thanks, John.
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Most definitely you do. I also use the other type of dash cam for making silly movies of our car events. I use a forward facing GoPro and another facing backwards. When I edit it all together I can mix and match the footage. (Usually into 2-3 second bursts) the GoPros are around £150 each. I also have a cheap copy that I got off eBay for £30. The difference is massive.

The cheaper one has poor focus, poor colour, poor battery backup and extremely poor stabilisation. Result is that footage is blurred, jerky and dull. You wouldn’t be able to read a number plate even if the camera was in a stationary car.

I’d bet that the footage from a cheapo dash cam of the sort you suggest would be the same and almost useless in the even of a fast moving traffic incident.

You do get what you pay for.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

The Aukey set up that I pointed to via the Youtube link is excellent - we have them in two of our cars.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Grumpy and Myrtles.